Super Z spindle zerk

denk

Threads
hello,

got all ready to swap the blades on the super z this morning and discovered that one of the grease fitting zerks was broken.

can't find anything on this part. it is part of the spindle housing, but doesn't seem to have a part #.

does anyone know where these are available? the spindle part # is 601630/796235X.

thanks much.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Me thinks you are in for some dirty fun.
Some spindle housings have a pressed in or riveted in grease nipple.
As these are not replaceable they have no part number because they are considered part of the housing.
If yours is one of them you will have to take the housing out, drill the nipple out then thread the hole & fit a new one.
Fun job if the housing is full of grease which has to be removed first.

mhavanti

Threads
As Bert has said, might be fun. As a parts distributor for over 40 years at Hughes Auto Parts and Oil Co., Inc. we supplied 12 sizes of grease zerks. Some are press type.

There are 1/4" 20 tpi which are the more usually found on most equipment across the board. However, another very popular size is the 1/8 NPT pipe thread size. I haven't seen any on the Hustlers round these here parts.

If the bulb is broken off of your zerk, you may be able to use a number 1 ease out to remove the 1/4"-20 zerk or a number 2 ease out for the 1/8 npt zerk.

If it is a push in, all I can say is: "have fun". lol

You'll get it and to get it, just begin and it will all be over very quickly. Well, probably not, however, lets be positive.

Good luck,

Max

beaubob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure what year your Super Z is, but I had to do this on my 2004 Super Z. You should have the removable type. Mine had the hex head on the base of the zerk, just be careful. Clean it off with a wire brush good so you can get a wrench on there tight and gently remove it. I just took it to the local Tractor Supply, or whatever you have nearby like that. Just matched it up and reinstalled, lasted for years. Be sure to hand start it to make sure you got the thread type right. Good luck.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Not sure what year your Super Z is, but I had to do this on my 2004 Super Z. You should have the removable type. Mine had the hex head on the base of the zerk, just be careful. Clean it off with a wire brush good so you can get a wrench on there tight and gently remove it. I just took it to the local Tractor Supply, or whatever you have nearby like that. Just matched it up and reinstalled, lasted for years. Be sure to hand start it to make sure you got the thread type right. Good luck.

Excellent info right here!

Thanks for posting and sharing. :thumbsup:

denk

Threads
alright, thanks much for the info. it is a 66" 2005 SZ w/ the XR7 deck.

the SZ spindle sports a removable zerk. the thread is 3/8. the 1/8 zerk sold by TS fits, but is too long, so i ordered a part from ebay that is shorter than the one from TS.

don't know how the bulb broke off the zerk. but it unscrewed easily from the spindle housing. i greased all the spindles and they're good for more mowing.

if we can attach photos here, i'll post one after the new zerk arrives.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you put the spindle housing back on pay head to where the nipple is so you can get to it easily with your grease gun

denk

Threads
When you put the spindle housing back on pay head to where the nipple is so you can get to it easily with your grease gun

didn't remove the spindle. the zerk faces forward - to the front of the deck.

mhavanti

Threads
Sounds like you're all set!

denk

Threads
As Bert has said, might be fun. As a parts distributor for over 40 years at Hughes Auto Parts and Oil Co., Inc. we supplied 12 sizes of grease zerks. Some are press type.

There are 1/4" 20 tpi which are the more usually found on most equipment across the board. However, another very popular size is the 1/8 NPT pipe thread size. I haven't seen any on the Hustlers round these here parts.

If the bulb is broken off of your zerk, you may be able to use a number 1 ease out to remove the 1/4"-20 zerk or a number 2 ease out for the 1/8 npt zerk.

If it is a push in, all I can say is: "have fun". lol

You'll get it and to get it, just begin and it will all be over very quickly. Well, probably not, however, lets be positive.

Good luck,

Max

i am just thankful that the spindle didn't require replacement. while it isn't a terrible job, there is just too much else to do this time of year!