550Z Seat Update?

BArnold

Threads
I received the suspension system Monday evening, but had other things on my schedule. I installed it Wednesday evening but not without a couple of issues.

The instruction say to remove the seat slider mechanism and mount it on top of the suspension system. When I checked the clearance after removing the slider, there was no way to get the seat pressure sensor wire reconnected. So, back up a bit and re-mount the slider to the seat. The next issue was mounting holes on the suspension, so I had to drill two additional holes for it to fit onto the sliders. Then, I had to drill two additional holes in the seat panel on the mower to match the suspension system. Anyway, I got it mounted last night in time to do my regular mowing today. While it's not like going down the road in a luxury vehicle, the suspension did soften the bumps in my lawn somewhat. I've got it set pretty far to the "SOFT" side and will continue to play with the setting to see what works best.

Thanks again for the encouragement to take the plunge!

mhavanti

Threads
BA,

Actually, the seat slider attaches to the seat deck of the mower and the seat suspension kit attaches to the slider. Looking down at the mower, you should have the seat, the slider, then the mower in that order.

Is that what you have?

Max

BArnold

Threads
BA,

Actually, the seat slider attaches to the seat deck of the mower and the seat suspension kit attaches to the slider. Looking down at the mower, you should have the seat, the slider, then the mower in that order.

Is that what you have?

Max

In order to have clearance under the seat to re-attach the seat sensor wire, I had to mount the slider to the seat, but re-oriented so the lever is to the outside of the seat. Then, I had to drill two new holes in the suspension system to match the sliders. Next, I had to drill two new holes in the mower seat deck to match the bottom of the suspension. So, from top to bottom, I have seat, slider, suspension, deck.

mhavanti

Threads
In that case, you are not getting the full downward travel of the suspension kit. It is bottoming out on your mower seat mounting deck. Rearrange, make a seat safety switch harness extension and you're going to be so much happier.

Matter of fact, you're going to think you purchased yet another seat kit it will ride so much smoother. I made the same mistake as it appeared to me there was plenty of travel. Soon as I saw the paint being rubbed (scratched) by the suspension kit, I knew everyone was absolutely correct. It only took about 20 minutes to correct the problem.

I used two female and two male spade connectors, two pieces of wire approximately 10 inches each. One male and one female for each wire. After you solder in the connectors, cover the connectors with shrink wrap even if using sheathed connectors. Use a bit of dielectric grease on on the connectors so they resist weather and are assured a good connection.

Good luck,

Max

BArnold

Threads
The issue is not the length of the wire, but the distance the seat sensor assembly sticks out of the bottom of the seat. Mounting the suspension directly to the seat would require at least 1" of washers to place the suspension far enough away to have any clearance. Then, one would have to attach the wire to the sensor before attaching the final bolts to the suspension/seat.