Honda Harmony Mod# 2013 Will not Roll

bobinyelm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda Harnony Model 2103 (1995 manufacture) 13hp lawn mower tractor.

The axle is locked as if in "Park" with a car, and no gear selection will free them up.

The differential is working because if I raise the rear end, and turn one wheel, the opposite one rotates in the opposite direction, but both will not turn in the same direction.

The drive pulley appears disconnected from the axle (turning the pulley on the top of the transaxle doesn't cause the wheels to turn).

The gear shift lever moves the transmission gear shaft at the transaxle through all gear positions-just nothing changes.

Any ideas?

Bob

The mower shop described the mower as one of the mor complicated ones to work on, and wants $400 just to look at the machine, and says if it needs belts (it appears not to) it would be another $150, so for close to $1000 I'd rather buy another manufacturer's used/new one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is classic locked on brake symptom.
The parking brake works on the layshaft which locks the diff so the wheels can only go in opposite directions.
Not sure which side the brake is on but follow the brake rod down and you will see it. most likely there is crud stuck around the lever preventing it from releasing.
You will have to remove the wheel to get to it,
The bolt in the middle of the caliper is the adjuster so if you have to take it apart only undo the ones at either side.

bobinyelm

Forum Newbie
Threads
BINGO!!

The two actuating pins that move the brake pad toward the brake rotor were corroded, preventing the friction material from retracting.

I removed the housing, drove the pins out, ran a drill through the bores, applied anti-seize, readjusted the brake clearance, and it was good to go!

Thanks for the advice,
Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BINGO!!

The two actuating pins that move the brake pad toward the brake rotor were corroded, preventing the friction material from retracting.

I removed the housing, drove the pins out, ran a drill through the bores, applied anti-seize, readjusted the brake clearance, and it was good to go!

Thanks for the advice,
Bob

Thanks for getting back.:thumbsup:
It really helps people searching to know what worked.
Now how about something more challenging :laughing:

FWIW lubing the brake is a 10 year service on most ride ons.
A tiny amount of never seize works wonders