2000 Grasshopper 721

66vette

Threads
I have a 2000 Grasshopper with the Kubota gas engine. Twice I had it in for service to my Kubota dealer for carburetor issues. The first time the carburetor was replaced. When I got it back the throttle control was such that I had to push it to the half way point before the rpm would change. I adjusted it to get full control right from the lowest throttle control setting and have it increase the rpm immediately. I had to return it a couple of weeks later for another carburetor issue and again the dealer set the throttle control where it wouldn't change rpm until the throttle control was set halfway in its travel. Is there a reason for this, I wouldn't think the dealer would change it to this setting unless there was a reason.

66vette

Threads
Since I am not getting any replies, I just need an answer is there anyone else that has the throttle not increase the rpm until halfway thru its travel?

dfbroxy

Threads
The standard way to adjust a throttle is from the wide open position. That is most likely what the dealer is doing. If you want to change that it shouldnt hurt anything but im no expert on that engine. Maybe someone who is will chime in. AS LONG AS YOU DONT ADJUST THE GOVERNOR!

66vette

Threads
I never knew that. If you adjust from the idle position is there a chance of increasing the rpm over the max position due to the governor or will it just go to max and won't allow the throttle control go any further. If I remember correctly when I purchased the grasshopper new I had immediate throttle control from the minimum position.

ran

Threads
Mine has the kohler motor on it. Feels like you go through half the travel range before it picks up rpm. Been like that since new two years now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A GOVERNED engine is designed to run at ONE speed and ONE speed only WFO
SO as long as it gets to 3600 rpm or there abouts all is fine , there is no problem.
many mowers need a minimum RPM higher than the slowest setting on the throttle control.
SO ignore it you have no problem what so ever

66vette

Threads
Thanks for all of the replies, will keep throttle control as is.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Since I am not getting any replies, I just need an answer is there anyone else that has the throttle not increase the rpm until halfway thru its travel?

My GH is somewhat the same, not quite half way but I do move the throttle forwards a bit before rpms change.

BWH

Threads
My previous mower was a 2002, 721 Grasshopper with a Kubota liquid cooled gas engine. The throttle was responsive from idle to full throttle, I would cool down at 20% after mowing every time. I would ask the dealer what's up? Or at least readjust it yourself as you did before the last visit to the shop.

Grouse09

Threads
Mine takes half the throttle before RPMs begin to increase. Seems to be the norm.