Kohler command pro 23 won't start

jimpad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have what's probably around a 2000 Dixon mower with kohler engine. The nameplate is worn off. A few years ago it started losing power but if i jostled the left plug wire it would seem to help. I finally got into it and after snapping all housing bolts found the left coil small lead broken off. Fixed broken wire and now it won't start at all. I put inline spark tester on and it's sparking but i also pulled plugs and checked spark and to me it looks like there's barely any spark on either side. Interestingly, for the few year period where problem was ongoing the mower would not shutoff with key... it would go down a bit in rpm but i'd have to choke it to kill it. So I'm thinking maybe i broke the coil wire when disassembling and the original problem, possibly related to shutdown issue is still there. Please help... GOTTA MOW!!!

My coils only have one tab and the plug wire so i don't think it has SAM.

If someone could help me figure out what the engine is and what the electrical schematic is that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it ran great when it ran, it just felt like one cylinder was intermittently shutting down so I think all mechanicals and fuel is ok.

Searching around a bit, I'm guessing I have magneto style spark system with no points or condenser is that correct?

Okay, appears my thinking was backwards. The white wire which was broken apparently is used to short the spark to ground and kill the engine. So, the reason it would run when key was off is because that coil was not getting shorted to ground. I'm going to remove the white wire from both coils and see what happens.

Maybe this will help someone else. The broken white wire was shorting the right coil... jostling it broke the short. Runs good now.

Last edited: