Engine Z425 won't start

jjstephens75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. After a bit of online research I had come to that conclusion...but it's good to hear from an expert that I'm on the right track.

I cannot release the brake or engage the PTO so I was guessing the seat switch. I did try jumping the seat switch connection but it didn't solve the problem so maybe it's the relay. I'll order both just to be on the safe side. Hope they get here before I need a baling machine!

I'm signing off now. Thanks again for your very helpful advice.

dfbroxy

Threads
Bypassing the seat safety on a older JD cannot be done with a jumper wire. For testing purposes only, remove safety switch. Use a business card and cut to fit so that it will insert into the connector on the seat wiring harness connector. it must go exactly in the two places where the prongs connected. in between the two prongs will be a spring loaded piece of metal that grounds the two prongs out without a safety switch. The card must keep it from doing so.

jjstephens75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip. However, I had already purchased and installed a new seat switch. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. I also pulled the brake switch and tested the relay using a multi-tester. It tested good (continuity on one side without the button pushed; continuity on the other side only when the button is pushed). I'm now thinking it is a wiring problem.

Bad as I hate to, I think I'm going to have to put it in the shop. I just don't have the time (my lawn is turning into a hay field) or the expertise to sort this out.

Thanks to all for your great advice.