Honda HRR216K5 VKAA raising mowing height to 4"

slobjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I always wanted to increase the mowing height on my HRR216K5 VKAA from 3/25" to 4" and finally got around to buying the parts to do this:
You need to buy 4 parts at a cost of around $40. For the front wheels you replace the adjuster arms.
HON 42911-VL0-900 ARM R. FR. ADJUSTER
HON 42921-VL0-900 ARM L. FR. ADJUSTER
These are easy to replace.
For the rear wheels you replace the adjuster plates
HON 42990-VL0-900 PANEL R. RR.
HON 42995-VL0-900 PANEL L. RR.
This is a little more complicated look at the youtube video on replacing the transmission on this mower for instructions. The big mystery is removing the spring clip on the inside of the adjuster plate.

gerrysmusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
SlobJoe,
Do you know if the standard height of all Honda mowers is closer to 3". I'm having this problem with my mower right now. I thought I was mowing at 4 inches, my wheels are at the max height, but it's only 3". I have an older HRR2166VKA and the owners manual says it's adjustable to 4" but it's not even close to that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They were, before they put in things like blade clutches and drive pulleys which push the blade further down.

slobjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
SlobJoe,
Do you know if the standard height of all Honda mowers is closer to 3". I'm having this problem with my mower right now. I thought I was mowing at 4 inches, my wheels are at the max height, but it's only 3". I have an older HRR2166VKA and the owners manual says it's adjustable to 4" but it's not even close to that.

I bought a VYA which is 4" and my VKA was 3-1/4". You can check the mowing height of your mower by setting it to the highest setting and placing it on a flat surface and measuring the height from the ground to the bottom of the deck. The lawnmower decks are the same for the VYA and VKA. I just looked at the parts diagram on the partstree site I compared my VKA (HRR216K5 VKAA sn 7800001-7999999) with the VYA (HRR216K8 VYAA sn 8400001-8669999) and found the parts to raise the height all the other parts matched for the two mowers. You'll need your model number and serial number for your mower (should be on the mower deck).

kredmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a VYA which is 4" and my VKA was 3-1/4". You can check the mowing height of your mower by setting it to the highest setting and placing it on a flat surface and measuring the height from the ground to the bottom of the deck. The lawnmower decks are the same for the VYA and VKA. I just looked at the parts diagram on the partstree site I compared my VKA (HRR216K5 VKAA sn 7800001-7999999) with the VYA (HRR216K8 VYAA sn 8400001-8669999) and found the parts to raise the height all the other parts matched for the two mowers. You'll need your model number and serial number for your mower (should be on the mower deck).

I'm doing this change over too, and really appreciate the info provided as a head-start. Just waiting on the parts now. Anything thing to know of importance on the install? I have the repair clinic videos on the parts. Thanks.

kredmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm doing this change over too, and really appreciate the info provided as a head-start. Just waiting on the parts now. Anything thing to know of importance on the install? I have the repair clinic videos on the parts. Thanks.

Change over complete, and pretty straight forward. All is working well. The one item I would suggest in addition, is getting the flat head bolts for the front wheels to avoid rubbing on the inner wheel plastic. Part #90103-VL0-900.

craneeye

Forum Newbie
Threads
SlobJoe,

Hmm, my manual says 4" adjustment too, may have to check it out. Yea, Post 5.

slobjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm, my manual says 4" adjustment too, may have to check it out. Yea, Post 5.

My HRR216K5 VKAA manual stated 3.25" as max height. My HRR216K8 VYAA stated 4" and is that height. After replacing the 4 parts on the VKA with those for the VKY both mowers now are 4". Can't explain why they state 4" in your manuals.