Buying lawn mowers from Lowes

turbofiat124

Threads
This maybe common knowledge I don't know.

So the other day I adjusted the valves on my Troy Bilt (MTD) that originally came from Lowes and decided to mow my entire yard with it. It had sat in my yard barn since last spring. I think after the float valve stuck, hydro-locked the engine, caused the valves to get out of adjustment. I'd have to use starting fluid to get the engine started. So I just parked it until I had time to fool with it.

This 17 HP B&S engine has probably less than 100 hours on it. I can't imagine a B&S engine would need a valve adjustment with less than 100 hours on it.

Anyway, I did not buy this mower. I acquired it in a trade. I use it as a spare in case my Sears/Husquvarna breaks and I'm waiting on parts. I don't really like the speed controller after being used to hydro-static shifter/lever and for some reason it hurts my right knee after I mow 4 hours with it even with the seat moved all the way back.

But here's my main complaint. I've used this mower several times before and it has always had a very bad cut. It would scalp the yard especially when making a turn. So I decided to see if I could adjust the deck. I know the blades are OK because I installed a set of new mulching blades on it and few years ago and have never hit anything.

First thing I noticed was on the adjustment side of the deck, there are three holes on each bracket. The side with the adjustment gear was in a different hole so I moved the rod to match the hole as the other side. Seems logical . I don't know why there are three holes. Anybody know why?

Then I had to adjust the "star thing" that is supposed to adjust the deck height. Well it doesn't really do much when turned so I just stuck some wood under the deck and lifted the deck by hand and tightened the center locking bolt. Then used a ruler to check the height on both sides of the deck. I got within 1/8".

The deck still looks like it's pointing downhill. So I turned the front hanger rod about 10 turns and measured the height of the front and back. Now it seems to mow much better but still not as good as my Husquvarna but good enough.

It looks as if some idiot at Lowe's just threw this thing together. Apparently these mowers come in boxes and the distributor is suppose to install stuff like the steering wheel, seat, etc and maybe the deck itself.

Although I did buy mine at Sears, I don't know if they are any better at setting up mowers out of the box than a store that specifically sells lawn equipment. At least when buying from a "real" distributor, the mower is under warranty so they have to level the deck if the customer brings it back and says it's not cutting properly. Lowe's just takes it back and marks it down $200.

This guy hit the nail on the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NqOQqN3Tlw&t=398s

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the front of every owners manual there is a section about setting up the mower to mow.
You obviously did not get one , which would be right as most stay in the box or go strait into the bin at worst or bottom drawer at best.
Go to Troy Bilt and download a copy for your mower they are free.
The anti scalp wheels have different heights because the deck can be set at different heights and you don't want the deck running on the anti scalp wheels rather than hanging from the hangers.
Any time you fit new blades you adjust the deck height as different blades will sit at different heights.
Deck height is from the BLADE TIPS to the floor not the deck pressings as very few pressings are parallel to the blades.

And yes, big box stores just put every thing together then send it out the door.
proper setting up costs money. So it is left up to the buyer to set up the mower properly.
This make sense because the only reason to buy from a big box is to pay less so one would not expect the big box to add extra costs to the item when the sole selling factor is a lower price.

And yes the factory sets up the mowers to make them SAFE FOR TRANSPORT because they are going to be TRANSPORTED.
When traveling o then back of a truck, you want them to remain solid & rigid so they do not bounce around. come loose or even bounce off.
Thus the tyres are always blown up to the maximum safe pressure.
This also makes them sit higher which makes then easier to sling up for lifting.

IT is up to the dealers or owners to set them up for mowing

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't expect a Lowes employee to be a mower tech. Get the Free Owners Manual like Bert said.

And you do not adjust decks by measuring the deck edge to flat ground, you measure the blade cutting edge tips. BUT only after making sure the tires are properly inflated to spec.
And the final after leveling the deck side to side, is to set the slope, the front should be between 1/16" - 5/16" lower than the rear of deck at the blade tips.

turbofiat124

Threads
In the front of every owners manual there is a section about setting up the mower to mow.
You obviously did not get one , which would be right as most stay in the box or go strait into the bin at worst or bottom drawer at best.
Go to Troy Bilt and download a copy for your mower they are free.
The anti scalp wheels have different heights because the deck can be set at different heights and you don't want the deck running on the anti scalp wheels rather than hanging from the hangers.
Any time you fit new blades you adjust the deck height as different blades will sit at different heights.
Deck height is from the BLADE TIPS to the floor not the deck pressings as very few pressings are parallel to the blades.

And yes, big box stores just put every thing together then send it out the door.
proper setting up costs money. So it is left up to the buyer to set up the mower properly.
This make sense because the only reason to buy from a big box is to pay less so one would not expect the big box to add extra costs to the item when the sole selling factor is a lower price.

And yes the factory sets up the mowers to make them SAFE FOR TRANSPORT because they are going to be TRANSPORTED.
When traveling o then back of a truck, you want them to remain solid & rigid so they do not bounce around. come loose or even bounce off.
Thus the tyres are always blown up to the maximum safe pressure.
This also makes them sit higher which makes then easier to sling up for lifting.

IT is up to the dealers or owners to set them up for mowing

I actually downloaded a manual from Troy Bilt's website before I set the deck height. Not sure what's up with the adjustment mechanism on this mower. Your supposed to loosen the center bolt with a 1/2" wrench or socket then turn the larger nut which has teeth on it which correspond to teeth on the deck which is supposed to lower and raise the deck.

I had always set the deck height on mowers by actually measuring the distance between the lip of the deck on each side. I assumed the blade height should be symmetrical providing the deck is not warped of the blades are not bent. I will check the distance of the blades to the floor next time I mow.

I have done something similar to see if the blades are bent by turning them were they are facing each other and comparing the distance.

As far as the anit-scalping wheels. I don't think MTD even put anit-scalping wheels on this mower like Husquvarna did on my Craftsmans.

Here is the best photo I can find that looks just like my mower:

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/002/4/6/2465-troy-bilt-pony-photos.html

lamrith

Threads
Unless something has changed in the last 10yrs or so, it is not Lowes employees building these.

It is pretty much untrained people getting paid piece-rate for assembling them. The only way to make a living doing it is to slap them together as fast as possible followed by a basic function test. Unit starts, and all functions work. They will not be deck leveling etc, that takes time and they do not have it as they also have to build all the grills, weed eaters and other outdoor equipment you see assembled in the store.