Magneto wattage

turbofiat124

Threads
I used to have a "pith" helmet, I think that is what it was called...bought it at sharper image and it had a fan pointing at my face made into the brim... had a solar cell on top to run it... it made me look like quite the dufus ... but I never cared since it really worked to keep me cooler in the sun.

I actually have a large solar cell I could mount on top of my cover to boost the charging capacity but most solar cells produce allot of voltage but not allot of current. They seem to be ideal for recharging batteries, not running smaller motors.

For now I'm just going to make a hard top cab cover, no sides like this one:

spin_prod_736729912

This one is too tall. I'd have to remove this thing just to get it out of my yard barn!

BTW, not to get off the subject but I've heard putting knobby tires or chains on a mower with a hydro-static transmission will wreck the transmission.

mhavanti

Threads
TurboFiat124,

Fret not, I have the remedy for your malady. I use this on my Hustler Raptor SD60. Just clip it to two horizontal pins of 1/8" rod suspended by two angle brackets on the foot panel. It will blow your hat off on high. On high it will run about 4 hours on a fully charged battery. Great for when the power goes off in the hot part of the year as well.

Have fun explaining this to your friends.

Max

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Hybrid-Portable-Fan-Tool-Only-P3320/205022215

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can connect the fan I have in mind using to the battery and measure the current draw and do the math and see if it exceeds the charging capacity.

I'll check with a guy I work with who has a sideline lawnmower repair business and see if he has any used staters that came off a lawnmower with a power take off. That might be enough to run my fan. I still can't imagine an electromagnet clutch would need a larger charging capacity to avoid discharging the battery.

The clutch draws around 2 to 5 Amps depending upon the model.
Mowers with electric clutched usually have a 9 or 15 A fully rectified & regulated charging system
If you read the books you would have seen that the same stator will produce 3 A or 5 A depending upon the size of the magnets in the flywheel.
Be careful you do not end up making a solar oven
Side should be made out of shade cloth not clear plastic and prefferably the light coloured cloth at 80% shade.

turbofiat124

Threads
TurboFiat124,

Fret not, I have the remedy for your malady. I use this on my Hustler Raptor SD60. Just clip it to two horizontal pins of 1/8" rod suspended by two angle brackets on the foot panel. It will blow your hat off on high. On high it will run about 4 hours on a fully charged battery. Great for when the power goes off in the hot part of the year as well.

Have fun explaining this to your friends.

Max

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Hybrid-Portable-Fan-Tool-Only-P3320/205022215

That's exactly what I need!

turbofiat124

Threads
The clutch draws around 2 to 5 Amps depending upon the model.
Mowers with electric clutched usually have a 9 or 15 A fully rectified & regulated charging system
If you read the books you would have seen that the same stator will produce 3 A or 5 A depending upon the size of the magnets in the flywheel.
Be careful you do not end up making a solar oven
Side should be made out of shade cloth not clear plastic and prefferably the light coloured cloth at 80% shade.

I did read the books but I figured I was going to have to pull the flywheel to inspect the stator to see what size magnets it had on it before I did anything. Unless you can go by the wiring harness coming off the stator past the shroud and judge it that way. If that's the case then this engine probably has the lowest capacity charging system that was installed. My guess is since my mower doesn't have an electromagnetic clutch and the low watt headlight bulbs it uses the 2 to 5 amp stator.

Thanks for the tip on the side shades. I was thinking just an awning of some sort like what's on my Father's 76 John Deere tractor to go over my head and a fan would be sufficient. The other day it was 95/30C and it's quite humid where I live so the heat index was closer to 100F/38C. While mowing, I was thinking it would be nice to have some shade. Or mount some brighter LED bulbs that pull less amps in place of those incandescents and mow after dark! I bet my neighbors would appreciate that.

I can usually tolerate this kind of weather, even driving around in some of my non air conditioned cars as long as I am moving.

It's when I start doing some major activity like dragging tree limbs and brush around I start sweating liters. But by the time I got done (4 hours) just riding around the yard, I didn't even bother running the weed wacker it was so hot. I just blew my driveway off and called it done. My wife won't even get out of the house this time of the year unless it's straight to the car.

I personally hate cold weather. I'd rather sweat that shiver.

On the flip side, the vinyl side shades might come in handy this fall when the temperature drops (actually create a solar oven). Providing it's not cloudy.

I'd like to get a jump start when it comes time to mulch leaves because it takes me longer in the fall to mulch than it does to mow in the summer. But it's a bit frigid at 9 am hopping on the mower in the fall. By the time it's warmed up to 50F/10C it's noon.

And since it get's dark around 6 pm I'm fighting the clock to get as much done as possible.

Another idea I came up with was to mount a vent I had left over from an auto air conditioning project in the panel below the steering wheel to channel heated air off the engine. I might have to run a duct and make a scoop below the cylinder fins to channel air. Like the heating system on my Trabant 601 and Citroen 2CV.

mhavanti

Threads
Once again, turbofiat124, I shall fail ye not. Do as I did and use this kit to give you a nice "heated seat". Install and extra battery and run in parallel so that you have plenty of reserve amperage. Once your butt is toasty, switch that sucker off. You can also place one hand below your butt to warm the hand, then switch and continue mulching.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5-Leve...18832855?epid=22016028518&hash=item3d4f0686d7