Push Mower with loud metallic knock

tkruger

Threads
I have a 19 year old Yard Man 6 HP push mower. There is no rust, oil / plug changed seasonally. Hit a rock with it and it stalled suddenly. Shaft is not bent and nothing appears loose. The blade is nicked where it hit. Few weeks back same thing happened but it bent that blade. Now there is a loud metallic knock when the motor is running. It is not in any rhythm but the sound is heard rapidly. Oil lever is proper.

Any ideas about the noise?

I am suspecting its internal but looking for any better ideas. If it is internal should I just run it till it dies at this point? It is a 19 year old mower that cost about $100 new so it does not owe me anything at this point.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the blade and then try.......

Threads
No I wouldn't take the blade off... Unless you want to get a kick back and hurt yourself...........

Raise the deck up with the handle and put a cinder block or something heavy on it......... Then see if you can move the shaft and blade up and down.... It should move very slightly... That is called end play..... If it moves a lot that is your problem...

Or check the side play at the flywheel side... That happens also and the bushing is worn at the flywheel side.... It won't leak oil from up there and should last for a good while.........

Does it leak oil from the bottom seal ??

Just make sure your blade is on right and is tight....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I repair and service them on the bench I never have blades on, and never have problems with kickback.

tkruger

Threads
Not loosing any oil. There is no noticeable up and down movement of the shaft either. I have not taken the top off to check up there. Will need to do that next.