2003 Exmark Metro 48 Downhill problems

TwinHill87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
New to the forum so please let me know if this post should go somewhere else. I am a homeowner that recently bought a 2003 ex-mark metro 48" belt drive walk behind with ECS controls. I bought it used from another homeowner that used it on his property. I mow my own yard, which is just over an acre. The lot is semi sloped, but nothing too crazy. I worked for a landscaping company in college, so I have a little experience with these large mowers, but still getting used to it. This is the first belt driven one I've driven.

My issue is I seem to lose control when mowing downhill--it feels like a runaway mower and gets squirrely. Like I said, the slope isn't bad and I'm cutting diagonally down the hill to mitigate the slope even more. I'm worried that there may be a problem with transmission belt/pulleys. Once I flatten out, the mower slows down and goes back to mowing straight, its just on these down hills it gets loose and the hand breaks feel unresponsive. This happens when I am on using the velke or when I am walking behind it. There are also no weights on the front, which I am thinking of adding since the mower seems to want to tip back when I'm riding on it uphill. Im sure the weights will only make the problem worse by adding more momentum to the front.

I dont want to take the mower to my local dealer yet, just because i'm not sure if this is just normal behavior and they charge upwards of $200 for a tuneup. Any thoughts on what I could look at will be much appreciated.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of the weight is on the front casters when going down steep hills so the lack of control is common with mowers that rely on the rear wheels for control. There just isn't enough weight on them.

TwinHill87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most of the weight is on the front casters when going down steep hills so the lack of control is common with mowers that rely on the rear wheels for control. There just isn't enough weight on them.

Thanks Darryl. So weighting the back wheels might help with stability down hill but will probably make the deck come up going up hill? What are the best ways to control it?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
How are the tires? And what gear are you running? Try dropping down a gear.

TwinHill87

Forum Newbie
Threads
How are the tires? And what gear are you running? Try dropping down a gear.

Tires look pretty good. I usually cut in 3rd gear when I’m on the flat spots and move to second for the slopes.