No Spark

Larry1953

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our older 42' Craftsmen Gold I/C with a Briggs & Stratton 15 HP OHV engine stopped dead in it's tracks Friday. After Searching on the web for help, and after changing the spark plug with no results, still no spark, I changed the magneto. I thought $45 was somewhat spendy, but after changing it, using 220 grit to spiff up the flywheel, it started right up. I was happy. After 2 hours of mowing...it did the same thing, stopped dead in it's tracks.
I'm hoping a magneto lasts more than 2 hours..the original lasted almost 20 years. Anyway...again, no spark. I checked everything I can think of...the saftey switch under the seat, traced wiring, checked fuse behind instrument panel, resanded flywheel, used the business card to regap it, still no spark. I am completely at a loss. I'm not a fan of B&S engines by any means, but it's my sisters & brother-in-laws mower, they both retired from briggs after 30 years, they swear by them. I swear at them. Any ideas or thoughts of what I may be overlooking or forgetting?

Thank You

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the cover and then the kill wire off the coil, then try it....will it run.... come back with your engine numbers.

Larry1953

Forum Newbie
Threads
Done, Same deal...spins nicely, no pop, no sputter...no spark.

Engine Info: Model# 28N707
Type: 0121 01
Code: 9403 264B

Thank You EngineMan

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a single cylinder ohv both carbs have fuel solenoid's.

if you still have no spark after removing the kill wire, then it has to be the coil, check it with a meter.

Larry1953

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You, it is the coil. Bad part being, as with any automotive electronics, it is not returnable. That is stated on receipt. I knew it was bad, just was hoping otherwise, $45 for 2 hours service makes one hesitant on replacing it. What would cause it to take a crap...poor materials/workmanship? a fluke? Or just the way things are today..as in...Suck it up big boy, take it like a man.

Thabk You for your time & efforts, It is appreciated

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look closely around the kill wire spade for cracking and maybe what looks like a smoke trail May even have an electric burnt smell if the key switch has shorted and sent 12 volts through the kill wire will cook them instantaneously.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look closely around the kill wire spade for cracking and maybe what looks like a smoke trail May even have an electric burnt smell if the key switch has shorted and sent 12 volts through the kill wire will cook them instantaneously.

Good point to make, check you don't 12v on the kill wire before you replace with another one, turn the key on and off a few times to make sure.