Old B&S 3hp Pull Cord Not Engaging Engine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. When I was mowing the other day there was a cracking noise from the engine which then stopped. I was on clear grass, hadn’t hit anything with the blades. The blades continued to turn but the engine noise cut out right away. Now when I pull the cord the blades rotate but the pull feels very light as if it’s no longer fully engaging. I’ve checked the clutch which looks fine, all ball bearings there and clean, and I can see the flywheel key which too looks square and sounds. What is this likely to be and are there any other checks I can do?
Thanks
Catherine

Threads
Well Miss Catherine that could be a few things up with your engine.... Was it making a screeching noise ????

Can you start your engine ??? Is it running ??? I am trying to figure out what is exactly going on with your engine, since you said the flywheel key and the ball bearings are good... Yep you got a oldie but a gloldie right there....

I Am going to put a link to a video I made a few years ago...... Is this the same style engine ???

Let us know Mon Amie ~!~!

Threads
OMG I just read your post real good and if I think what you are trying to tell us is not good.......

You said you can turn the engine over with the starter rope and the blade turns.... Correct ?? But the engine turns over very easily like, say the spark plug would be out of the engine .........

Do this for me, take the spark plug out and put a screwdriver in the plug hole until it stops and turn the blade to see if the piston is moving the screwdriver... Do this about 2 or 3 turns....

If it doesn't move the screwdriver then you dropped a rod....

I hate to see a vintage engine like that to go SOUTH....... Unless of course south Louisiana in Cajun Country my way LOL.....

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Boudreaux. Yes that’s the one! I’ve known the mower since the 70’s so yes it’s old and likely older than that.
Yes the blades turn. I was thinking it something serious.
Screwdriver not moving at all. I’ll now be googling ‘dropping a rod’! This is my favourite mower (Hayter Hayterette). Is the engine fixable or does it mean a complete new engine? The decks on these machines are cast aluminium and this one is in good nick.
Thanks
Catherine

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the engine gave up the ghost, I would put a new engine on the old frame. You will never get a better deck than the old cast aluminum ones.

Threads
it depends on how bad it is.... Cracked block = a NO GO ... Just a broken rod can be fixed at quite nice price.... Need to find out what caused it though.....

Maybe just old age and use did it in ......

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all for your help. Looks like I definitely need to get the Condor fixed too now! Thank you.