Kohler Courage Sv600. Loose Rocker Arm...

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Just picked up a Cub Cadet LTX1045 that doest run. Long story short, I removed valve cover and found the exhaust rocker arm was off the push rod. Pulled the rod out and it was straight. No damage. Put it back together. Tried adjusting both valves but its not firing up. I cleaned carb. New plug. New fuel filter. Sprayed starting fluid in carb and just get one single loud BOOM. I brought it to tdc on compression AND non compression when adjusting and still nothing. I dont FEEL compression when I put my finger over the spark plug hole.... Mower has 81 hours.

Attachments

• 20180619_115014.jpg
    20180619_115014.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 10

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just picked up a Cub Cadet LTX1045 that doest run. Long story short, I removed valve cover and found the exhaust rocker arm was off the push rod. Pulled the rod out and it was straight. No damage. Put it back together. Tried adjusting both valves but its not firing up. I cleaned carb. New plug. New fuel filter. Sprayed starting fluid in carb and just get one single loud BOOM. I brought it to tdc on compression AND non compression when adjusting and still nothing. I dont FEEL compression when I put my finger over the spark plug hole.... Mower has 81 hours.

Most likely damaged cam.
push down on the pushrod while rotating the engine by hand and feel if the cam is working the rocker,
Better still is to do it with both pushrods while some one else rotates the engine.
Both pushrods ( thus cams ) should have identical lift as the cams are identical.
That model engine was a very good design, very poorly made & one is hard put not to believe there was an element of sabotarge involved..
If suspect, pull the closing plate off and check the internals.
There are lots of donor engines available with good internals but cracked blocks.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Most likely damaged cam.
push down on the pushrod while rotating the engine by hand and feel if the cam is working the rocker,
Better still is to do it with both pushrods while some one else rotates the engine.
Both pushrods ( thus cams ) should have identical lift as the cams are identical.
That model engine was a very good design, very poorly made & one is hard put not to believe there was an element of sabotarge involved..
If suspect, pull the closing plate off and check the internals.
There are lots of donor engines available with good internals but cracked blocks.
I already did that and both rockers move like they should.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Standard checking for engines that do not start.
1) remove plug & check that the piston (s) are moving up & down
2 squirt of carb cleaner down the plug hole, replace plugs & spark testers fitted to plugs.

If testers flash and engine does not start = timing problem, remove blower housing and check the key.
If the testers do not flash = electrical fault, remover blower housing and remove grounding wires, still no spark = dead coils
Testers now glow = wiring fault

More carb cleaner down plug hole.
Engin does not fire = valve problem
Engine fires the try carb cleaner down carb
Engine fires = carb problem
Engine does not fire = valve problem.
Engine fires & can be kept running for a few seconds by short shots of carb cleaner = fuel supply problem

Sounds complicated but it takes about 10 minutes tops .
After this, depending upon the results it might be out with the bore-o-scope , clean the carb, check the fuel flow from the pump etc etc etc.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
The flywheel key is fine. How come there isn't any oil in the valve cover?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Here are some more pics of valve springs.

Attachments

• 20180620_115243.jpg
    20180620_115243.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180620_115246.jpg
    20180620_115246.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180620_115236.jpg
    20180620_115236.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The flywheel key is fine. How come there isn't any oil in the valve cover?

Because it is lubed by oil vapour.
They just need enough oil to keep a film on the rocker and lash caps.
I can see oil sitting in one of the rockers.

Now getting back to your problem.
Are you having problems starting the engine or is the rocker stud continually coming loose causing the valve to go out of adjustment ?