Kohler Courage Sv600. Loose Rocker Arm...

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Because it is lubed by oil vapour.
They just need enough oil to keep a film on the rocker and lash caps.
I can see oil sitting in one of the rockers.

Now getting back to your problem.
Are you having problems starting the engine or is the rocker stud continually coming loose causing the valve to go out of adjustment ?
When I was trying to adjust the valves again, I did notice the rocker arm stud for the exhaust valve (same rocker that I found loose originally) was loose, so I tightened it up. Haven't noticed if it loosened up again. Think the exhaust valve is burnt up? Should I pull the head or take the top of engine off or both? Did you watch my video?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seven seconds of the valves going up & down like they should
If you had the plug in when you took that then you have a problem and will need to pull the head & have a look because that engine is spinning too fast .

If plug was out then that is about what I would expect to see.

Head gaskets are fairly cheap, from memory about the same price as a cover plate gasket.
Inlet & exhaust valves are the same length so they should go in the same distance & come out to the same position.
If one is shorter then a good chance the seat has fallen out & is holding the valve open but from the angle of your photos & video is is impossible to tell.
Rare for a valve to burn on a governed engine unless you have been running it slow without the header pipe.
Common for an engine to overheat and the seat drop out,
Very common for a hydro lock to blow out the head gasket.
If yo do not want to pull the head then remove the muffler & carb manifold and with the engine at TDC firing stroke shine a strong light in each port .
Look down the plug hole for light.
If you have a pencil torch you can do it the other way.

I have a bore-o-scope for these situations which saves a lot of time.

Other wise, VIVA La France & off with it's head

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Seven seconds of the valves going up & down like they should
If you had the plug in when you took that then you have a problem and will need to pull the head & have a look because that engine is spinning too fast .

If plug was out then that is about what I would expect to see.

Head gaskets are fairly cheap, from memory about the same price as a cover plate gasket.
Inlet & exhaust valves are the same length so they should go in the same distance & come out to the same position.
If one is shorter then a good chance the seat has fallen out & is holding the valve open but from the angle of your photos & video is is impossible to tell.
Rare for a valve to burn on a governed engine unless you have been running it slow without the header pipe.
Common for an engine to overheat and the seat drop out,
Very common for a hydro lock to blow out the head gasket.
If yo do not want to pull the head then remove the muffler & carb manifold and with the engine at TDC firing stroke shine a strong light in each port .
Look down the plug hole for light.
If you have a pencil torch you can do it the other way.

I have a bore-o-scope for these situations which saves a lot of time.

Other wise, VIVA La France & off with it's head

Ok. Plug was in. Thanks. I ordered a headgasket kit with bolts and everything for $20 on Amazon with 2 day shipping. I'll pull the head tomorrow and report back.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Update: pulled the head and found the exhaust valve stuck open. I put on another head from another SV600 and now I have compression. Adjusted the valves and now it wont turn over. Acting like the acr is not working like it did on that Briggs 17hp I had to replace the cam in.

SO, what are the chances of it have ALL of these problems????

Attachments

• 20180621_140134.jpg
    20180621_140134.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 7

JonnyBlaze

Threads
UPDATE #2: Got it running! Guess it was combination of drained battery and jump pack. Charged the battery and it started right up!

It is surging a little bit like it's running lean.. I already cleaned the carb. Previous owner said fuel filter was new... Thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Surging is caused by insufficient fuel for the volume of air.
Two causes
1) air leak between the main jet & inlet valve. Checked by spraying WD 40 ( or similar ) from a trigger pack all around the manifold & carb while running.
2) not enough fuel getting to the mainjet .Blockage somewhere from the fuel tank outlet to the main jet.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bottle with a lever that you pump with your finger .
We also call them spray bottles.
The important thing is not to use spray cans as the propellent has a bad habit of going Wooosh and taking your eyebrows with it.
A customer was using WD 40 ( as he though I had advised ) to check for carb leaks .
The spray from the can ignited, he jumped up, still holding the finger on the can setting fire to his workshop paper covering his bench followed by some oily bench rags.
Not a lot of damage done but taught me to be specific

JonnyBlaze

Threads
All fixed! It was the gasket between the head and the plastic plate between the head and the carb. Runs like a champ now. On to the next! Thanks again!!