Echo pruner chain too loose

juntjoo

Threads
I've already adjusted the chain by standard method to the max so I'm guessing the chain itself has stretched out. And I've seen guides on removing links in it but they're done with a special tool by breaking off a particular (master?) link or something that is obviously different from the rest but I see no special link. Can I still do this or should I buy a new chain? I haven't used too much I don't think, at least enough to warrant a replacement so if possible I'd like to try to double the life of my chain. Any ideas? Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Removing a link on a chain that short may render it useless.

Also, it may be the bar that needs replaced, not the chain.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replace the chain and bar, and make sure its oiling the the bar.

juntjoo

Threads
Echo pruner https://imgur.com/a/jG4WHoq

Is there another way to adjust other than screw(not shown in pic)? If you're familiar it's attached to the gears that move a rod back and forth that fits into one of those holes on the bar, which is metal so I don't see how the bar could be the problem. It's solid and not bent. I don't even see how the chain itself stretched. It seems pretty solid itself and I again I didn't use it THAT much, not enough to justify replacing both the chain and bar. I'm thinking there must be another part out of adjustment we're missing but I can't see anything

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the bar/chain doesn't get enough lube, the bar gets worn away prematurely. It's aluminum, the chain is steel. Wear makes the circumference of the bar smaller, which is the same effect as making the chain longer.

I'm not saying this is what happened in your case, just answering the question of how it 'could' be the bar, not the chain.

You should be able to find a diagram which shows how the bar adjuster comes out. I would guess you simply unscrew it until the piece that engages the bar drops off the screw. Take it out and clean the full length of where that adjuster slides and see if that gives you some more travel on the bar.

juntjoo

Threads
If the bar/chain doesn't get enough lube, the bar gets worn away prematurely. It's aluminum, the chain is steel. Wear makes the circumference of the bar smaller, which is the same effect as making the chain longer.

I'm not saying this is what happened in your case, just answering the question of how it 'could' be the bar, not the chain.

You should be able to find a diagram which shows how the bar adjuster comes out. I would guess you simply unscrew it until the piece that engages the bar drops off the screw. Take it out and clean the full length of where that adjuster slides and see if that gives you some more travel on the bar.

Ah, interesting. It is aluminum. And maybe using dirty motor oil wasn't the best lube. I'll look into tomorrow. The adjuster is fine. I just replaced the gears I stripped. And it doesn't have any more room to travel. I'll take the bar to compare with a new one if I can find one locally. Thanks

Threads
If you invest the money in a tool to take a link out, which is called a butterfly link and it's not one but 3 to keep everything in the proper order, then get the spinner tool with the anvils you are pissing whiskey.... A new bar and chain is cheaper.... Plus all the time do do it.....

Make sure you take the saw itself in to get the right chain and bar.... Not just any chain goes in any bar... They have to be bot the same numbers......

Also PLEASE get a quart of BAR oil... 30 WT doesn't cut the mustard and after a while it won't cut any wood either........

Used oil is a BIG NO NO you have a filter in your oil tank.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

juntjoo

Threads
Chain bar mod https://imgur.com/a/52cNDDK

Lol, it's a temporary fix I guess. See how I drilled another hole to allow to fit further out? Except that I had to cut the butt out there where the bolts fit in that space so the one bolt could fit right at the end, and that actually allows the bar to bend a bit off straight. But it held and I was able to saw some branches. Not recommended. The bar is fine I'm sure and I can grab a $16 chain locally. Thanks for the tips.

Oh, and I found you can spend a few hundred for a roll of chain if you do this often enough and furnish yourself a new chain, which I'm sure is cheaper in the long run but no need at the $16 price. And I'll use good fresh oil from now on.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The two factory holes serve a dual purpose.

One is for the tightener to pull the bar away from the saw, tightening the chain.

The other admits oil into the bar for lubrication.

Does your oil port still line up the the hole?

juntjoo

Threads
The two factory holes serve a dual purpose.

One is for the tightener to pull the bar away from the saw, tightening the chain.

The other admits oil into the bar for lubrication.

Does your oil port still line up the the hole?

Ah, thank you. Didn't know that. Perhaps that's why it was dipping oil. At least it was coming out though. I'll be getting a new chain soon enough and install it correctly. Thanks