Hour Meter Replacment

577jersey

Threads
My hour meter died at 350 hours and I see two replacements from Husqvarna,one has its own internal power and three prongs the other gets power from the mowers battery to function.I would rather use the one that powers from mower(that way it will last longer)..any ideas which one i need to order besides the over priced Hustler part?
Thanks!!
Tom

Mr. Mower

Threads
I would suggest to just replace the original malfunctioning Hour Meter with a replacement from Hustler Corp. keeping it OEM?

Or find a direct replacement/style Hour Meter that is an exact match fit for the OEM one? The price just might be cheaper?
Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for.....if you pay cheap....you get cheap.

If you are going to replace the Hour Meter with one that draws power from the mowers battery, well then you will need to add some sore of wiring or wire harness (that is if you decide to have someone else do it for you)?

Also could you list or post a link and or pictures of the two Hour Meters that you originally mentioned in your post?

mhavanti

Threads
Tom,

I'd go with the Husq hour meter for 17.95 and wire it into the run circuit rather than the key on circuit. Way too many hours are logged with no more than key on.

The first link is probably the one you're looking at. The second is a "genuine" Hustler hour meter at $39 bucks. Would take less time to just plug and play, but then, it is playing when you're not plugged in. lol

Max

https://www.ebay.com/i/132168311658?chn=ps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuin...987651&hash=item3d42fb84b6:g:OJkAAOSwGrFZf0IM

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tom,

I'd go with the Husq hour meter for 17.95 and wire it into the run circuit rather than the key on circuit. Way too many hours are logged with no more than key on.

The first link is probably the one you're looking at. The second is a "genuine" Hustler hour meter at $39 bucks. Would take less time to just plug and play, but then, it is playing when you're not plugged in. lol

Max

https://www.ebay.com/i/132168311658?chn=ps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuin...987651&hash=item3d42fb84b6:g:OJkAAOSwGrFZf0IM

If you want a set up with less phantom hours the best way is to take a feed off the alternator AC with a diode so you only record the running hours of the engine.
The easiest way is to take a feed off the PTO so you actually record cutting hours which will be a little less than running hours.
When it is all said & done, servicing by the hours on the meter is not an exact science so running hours will work just fine.
I try to get the residential customers to do a service at the end of each season regardless of the metered hours, it actually works a lot better.
Commercial customers get done twice annually, for most of them that is a bit over scheduled services , but commercial customers do things like check oil & grease spindles between services where as resedentials rarely do anything between scheduled services.When it come to resale time what is on the meter should be a guide not a determining factor.
Just finishing a mower that has been sitting out in the weather all its life.
500 hours on the clock so the motor should be fine but every bush & bearing plus 1/2 the control shafts needed replacing and the deck is swiss cheese.
The Troybuilt pony should be good for 1000 hrs + but if this one makes it to 600 the owners will be lucky.

mhavanti

Threads
See? That's why we keep Bert around. He is the man!

Tom, follow those directions and you'll like your mower even more.

Thanks Bert Man!

Max

over40mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the wiring on a Raptor 42 for an hour meter, power the hour meter, whenever the key is on, or just when the motor is running?
When my hour meter arrives, I would like to wire it so it only records running hours.