Not sure if I have an issue with carburetor or just a fluke?

svlawnmower

Threads
  • / Not sure if I have an issue with carburetor or just a fluke?
Briggs and Stratton 5HP Model: 130232; Type: 3162 01; Code: 89[9]50601 (uncertain 3rd no.)

I'm not sure if I have an issue or not. My question would be, "Is it ok or unusual my fuel mixture needle is set to less than 1/2 a turn (3/8??)? What did I do to get it to start?

Issue:
After a very recent post for help with this motor (click here) and learning about lapping the valves, this motor kicked right off and test started on first pull 3-4 more times in a row (running a couple minutes each time). Then I put it way for a couple weeks and it stopped starting.

After I performed a thorough cleaning of the carburetor, replaced the carburetor diaphragm and gaskets from a kit I had, and cleaned up the fuel mixture needle and set it to 1 1/2 turns, it still wouldn't start. I noticed after 4-6 attempts, the spark plug was getting wet (flooding). After drying the spark plug and letting it sit for an hour, it still didn't start. The spark plug was wet again.

Here is where I'm uncertain if I need to do anymore or what I did?.... I set the fuel mixture needle to just shy of a 1/2 a turn and then I didn't get any fuel. I took off the air cleaner, looked in passed the choke and it was dry. I put the palm of my hand on the carburetor over the choke hole and pulled the crank and there was fuel. So I pulled one more time with my hand off the carburetor and it started right off. I replaced the air filter while it was running and no issue. I stopped and started it again successfully and 24 hours later again successfully.

What did I do? Even after I adjusted the needle to 1/2 a turn is still didn't start and all I did was really put my palm over the carburetor choke and pull? I need to understand why it is running now?

Thanks!