mysteriously engaging deck blades on Bronco

briank

Forum Newbie
Threads
First time user here. Hoping someone can help. I have a Troy Bilt Bronco with a 46" deck. I don't have model # handy but it's about 9 years old. With Engine running and blades disengaged, the blades will engage when I lower the deck from the top position to the # 3 or 4 position. If I lower it to the 2 position the blades will disengage again. Problem seems to be getting worse and I am concerned the blades wont disengage at all.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined but wouldn't even know what to look for if I drop the deck.
Any help appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have a button ( electric ) PTO or a lever to engage the blades. ?

briank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lever, on the left side of steering wheel.
It operates normally so far. It makes the usual brief squeal when engaging. If I lower the deck with blades disengaged and engine running at low rpm it makes a quieter squeal and the blades start spinning.
Some more history of the tractor; I bought it used 3 years ago. It was built in 2009. The seller did some overhaul to it before selling and it has worked very well so far (except for hard starting). It saw a lot of use last summer due to rain. I spray the underside of the deck with the garden hose after every use. I have 2 little ones who like to climb around on it while it is parked. Unfortunately the deck has also been used as a step stool for 20-50 lb miniature humans repeatedly. Not sure if this factors in or not.

briank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the suggestion and pointing me towards the manual. I checked the deck measurements and they are ok.
I think what is happening is the PTO isn't fully disengaging. The spring on the end of the cable that connects to the deck looks old and rusty. I can push the mechanism on the deck the rest of the way with my hand. Haven't figured out the rest yet, or what it has to do with raising and lowering the deck, but I think that is the problem.