Command CV25S: Worth Overhauling?

hisport

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely PM260Z mower with a Kohler Command CV25s (spec 69536 sn 2923572521), showing about 1500 Hrs

My plan was to do basically a ring and valve service, but it looks as if the piston rings are NLA, requiring new pistons. This is a 1999 model year engine

Question for you Kohler gurus:

- Are these early Commands worth rebuilding, even given the cost of pistons? (I believe a new engine is ~ $2,300)

- Assuming crank, rods, and cyl bores are OK, what typically requires replacement (eg, lifters, valves, valve springs, rings, governor internals)?

- Are there aftermarket rings available?

- Does the gasket/seal kit come with the factory modification to oil pump pick up area to prevent aeration/lifter noise? (this engine clatters loudly when hot)

(I have done ring and valve service on a couple of Vanguard Vtwin motors with good results)

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kohler parts are a touch on the expensive side & I feel that it is done deliberately to discourage rebuilding old engines.
Rings can be bought from most ring makers but they will not be listed as Kohler Command rings so you will have to ring them and provide bore, ring width, piston width, groove depth.
I have to do this all the time when re ringing vintage motorcycles and did it for the landlords CH 18.
Usually I fit Total Seal rings and in most cases the gapless ones.
For me, as a mechanic, not worth the effort, old engines get tossed in the "used spares" bin.
Wholesale I can get Kawasaki engine new for less than the Kohler parts alone and a new engine is a lot easier to sell customers.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only engines that I rebuild for customers any more is the Kawasaki engines on JD since they are unique to what they are mounted on and replacement engines are over $3k in some cases, or if a replacement engine is available, but the rebuild can run 4 figures in some cases.

hisport

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many Thanks, Bert and IL

This sorta' confirms my inkling - doesn't pencil out to rebuild the CV25s (even though my labor is free, sigh...)

Would you suggest repowering with Kohler, or something else? I have high regard for Kaw (had one on a JD; also own a Concours 1400), but unsure about shafting, etc
Is OPE a good place to buy an engine from?

Appreciate the expert advice!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many Thanks, Bert and IL

This sorta' confirms my inkling - doesn't pencil out to rebuild the CV25s (even though my labor is free, sigh...)

Would you suggest repowering with Kohler, or something else? I have high regard for Kaw (had one on a JD; also own a Concours 1400), but unsure about shafting, etc
Is OPE a good place to buy an engine from?

Appreciate the expert advice!

I get my engines excluding Kawasaki from
1) Small Engine Suplies
2) Small Engine Warehouse
3) the Surplus Center

mainly because they all sell remiandered, surplus or new pulls.
kawasaki engines I can buy wholesale from my distributor.

The easiest swap will be another Kohler as it should plug strait in and then you have your old engine for spares, Starter , alternator, rectifier etc etc.
While getting a cheap engine is good, also consider fitting the Donaldson type twin element air filter as fitted to construction equipment.
It really makes a big difference.

hisport

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks!

I look after mowers for our local rec center (as a volunteer). We have a v heavy duty Hustler with the Donaldson type twin element filter. This works far better than the OE kohler filters on exmark and gravely units. I will definitely spec a replacement engine with this filter system, though there is v little room on my PM260Z; it will have to be replumbed somehow

I also like that the Hustler has a fan cooled remote hyd oil cooler. A step above the gravely, though sort of a brute