Need good mechanic.. ;)

Threads
Wheelie when it dies take the plug out and check for spark right away..... That's what Ronno was meaning.......

Let us know with an update Mon Ami ~!~!

wheelie

Threads
to maybe get ahead of the game.. My carburetor has 2 electric wires coming out the bottom of the float bowl.. That is a new one on me.. any thoughts on them and if I disconnect them can I screw the bottom nut out of the float bowl or is that going to break something... ahhh for a manual..

Threads
That is your anti backfire solenoid......... That very well could be your issue..... What it does it shuts off the gas to the carb when you turn the key off and TRIES to prevent a backfire.....

Does your carb have 2 screws holding the bowl on ??? Or does it have just the one in the middle of the bowl ???

2 screws is a Nikki carb and only one is a Walbro.... I am betting on a Nikki carb....

Either way the anti backfire needs a very skinny 1/2 inch open wrench to take it off..... Then hook the plug back up to it and turn the key on and off.... If it clicks back and forth then it's good.....

Or if you put your ear close to the bowl of the carb and listen while you turn the key on and off you might can hear it.......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
It will be one of the two......

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 5

wheelie

Threads
Ok.. some updating... My wife has a broken foot and was having a bad day yesterday and truthfully i was not feeling up to par so did not get much done.. I did go out and pulled the harness from the bottom of the carb and unscrewed the back fire device from the bowl and it drained.. I put it back together and tried to start it.. same thing start and immediately shut down.. I gave up on it and other than one more try later in the afternoon with same results I did not do much..

TODAY.. A while back I did have a water in fuel (condensation) problem and draining the tank thru the hose and new filter fixed it right up.. so that kept eating on me. I also had not paid attention to what Carb it was and had not checked the anti back fire device for 'clicking'... There is no clicking and it does not move the plunger if that is what it is.. and It is a Nikki carb...

I then as i usually do after a procedure.. tried to start it.. and it stared right up.. and kept running.. I played with the throttle a bit.. and I shut it down.. ( and to note.. I always shut this down with the throttle.. not the key)... I started it again and all OK.. So i picked up my tools etc .. put them away .. went and jumped on and it started and away we went mowing away... After about ten minutes my phone vibrated in my shirt pocket and as I have been waiting for 2 calls since last week I shut it down and answered the call.. was not one i wanted and was short.. Tried to start it and .. back to same.. starts up and shuts down.. finally decided to remove all doubt on possible water.. I pulled the tank.. and drained it a flushed it with new bought today gas.. I bought another filter and new fuel lines and clamps.. dumped half a tank of gas it.. same damned thing.. pulled the bottom from carb and checked for good flow.. Got good flow... So while absolutely eliminating bad fuel or plugged lines.... I now will need to go to the next thing.. Spark after fire will be next.. if i can find my spark tested.. it is not in the handiest place to try and ground the plug and see it..even with a helper.

Tomorrow is another day..

wheelie

Threads
Boudreaux In Eunice La.

"What it does it shuts off the gas to the carb when you turn the key off and TRIES to prevent a backfire....."

That is why I always shut it down with throttle.. If i turn off the ignition it will backfire with the loudest boom and dogs and kids scatter

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the "anti backfire solenoid" again.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is possible that there is sufficient "stuff" in the bottom of your carb bowl to stop fuel from entering the main jets.
When the mower sits not running, the particles have a chance to fall out of suspension, allowing a tad of fuel to enter the passages.
When you start it the stuff gets sucked back into the jets clogging fuel floe and stopping the engine.

Just a thought........

wheelie

Threads
Yes.. feeling better today so brain MIGHT work better .. I will be pulling the fuel solenoid again today and do what i should have yesterday.. check for proper voltage to it and... check it for continuity thru the coil.... and check for debris.. If that proves not to be the problem i will drop the carb bowl.. and move on up the line.. .. That is .. if it does not rain..