Need good mechanic.. ;)

wheelie

Threads
2000 MTD (ACE Branded)
Model 13AM673G033
serial 1D290B8)145
14.5 hp IC

single cylinder B&S

This mower has been running great.. put new blades. belt.. pulley gaurds on it and been mowing right along... until yesterday.. I was mowing and was about haf done when it just stopped.. no sputtering or lurching or missing.. just shut down.. I did not find any signs of water but I drained 5the tank and lines and put on a new fuel filter.. Now after setting for some minutes you try to start it and it starts right up.. and shuts right back down... If you countinue to crank it over and try choke.. no choke.. trottle no throttle and inbeween.. and it will not start.. wait a few 15 or 20 minutes.. crank it over and starts right up and shuts right back down.. I am only medium at reading wiring diagrams and the one's they put in the manual suck and are incomplete in not showing all saftey switches etc..

I have worked on Chainsaws all my life (i am 68) but like they say.. this ain't no chainsaw.. I do do all my own auto repairs to but for some reason i am not getting a handle on this..

Lots of help would be great.. Thanks..

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the engine cover and then the kill wire off the coil, try and start it, if it runs good you will know its to do with the safety switchers, if its the same then you will know there is a problem with the engine......come back and let us know.

Threads
Try what Engine man told you... If that doesn't work then you have a fuel problem.... When you are letting it set it is filling the bowl up... It could be a flapping fuel line or something getting in the the needle and seat.... I think you have the Walbro carb on yours......

Let us know what carb you have.... if you have a screw on each side of the bowl then it's a Nikki.... Just 1 in the middle of the bowl will be a Walbro..... Totally different carbs.........

Let us know the outcome.............

wheelie

Threads
OK will do.. fits right in with my plans for tomorrow.. going to pull hood and side cowling off where i can get to everything better and it could use a interior cleanup.. BTW.. if you have any info.. diagrams of the engine it would help.. all Information I can find and have is mower itself.. Thanks for the Interest..

Engine
B&S I/C 14.5 HP OHV
Model 287787 or 2877E7 or something else on that 2nd to last number
Type 1224-E1
Code is unreadable.

wheelie

Threads
Boudreaux In Eunice La. .. Thank You.. Will follow through tomorrow... been a long day today..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK will do.. fits right in with my plans for tomorrow.. going to pull hood and side cowling off where i can get to everything better and it could use a interior cleanup.. BTW.. if you have any info.. diagrams of the engine it would help.. all Information I can find and have is mower itself.. Thanks for the Interest..

Engine
B&S I/C 14.5 HP OHV
Model 287787 or 2877E7 or something else on that 2nd to last number
Type 1224-E1
Code is unreadable.

GO to Jacks https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ and type in your engine number in the search window.
That will bring up either a drop down list or new window listing all the variations of that motor used in the USA with the mower they were fitted to.
You now have a parts breakdown ( better than the one Briggs provide ) for your engine.
Right click on the images then print them out.

The other route is to enter your mower details then go to the engine diagram to find what engine was fitted then search that engine.
The actual images on partstree are better than JAcks but the search engine Jacks use is better than partstree.

As foor eengine service information, you are looking for "Overhead valve single cylinder service manual "
They are every where on the web as downloads of varying quality or you could even buy a paper copy.

wheelie

Threads
Thank you.. I am looking more for a repair manual than a service manual.. I will check the info at Jack asyou suggested.. i have purchased from there on other needs and did not think of it..

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you checked for the presence of spark when it will not run??

wheelie

Threads
I thought I posted this.. It is electric start..

wheelie

Threads
Ronno6 .. I have only done some basic tests as it is hard to get to need items until i remove cowl and hood... I know it has spark at times because when I leave it set and then crank it over it starts right up..then just dies immediately following. Thank you.. I am starting to think fuel as has been suggested.. in which case she is probably scrap..