Lazer Z only starts with assist of battery charger

mowerman556

Threads
  • / Lazer Z only starts with assist of battery charger
@BlazNT Thanks for the feedback. I already checked the wiring and the ground bolt, and even paralleled a second ground wire from the battery to the negative lug, and also tried several other grounding locations on the frame and engine. No change.

Again, the situation with my mower may be a bit different than what you experienced with yours. When I turn the key, the mower does not get the fuel pump "prime" that lasts for 5-6 seconds. Thats the buzzing you hear when you flip the key to "ON", and before you turn it to the start position to crank the engine.

Without that "prime" cycle, the engine will crank and crank and crank, but will not start. Once I put a battery charger on the battery (which is new this year), you can hear the fuel pump "prime" cycle when the key is turned on, and after that cycle, the mower starts as normal. I've been starting it that way, with the aid of a battery charger all this mowing season since the problem cropped up in the spring.

mowerman556

Threads
@John Fitzgerald not for me. EFI is superior to carburetors all day long, and, the issue at hand that I am experiencing has nothing to do with fuel delivery, but rather a fuel "prime" issue.

Can we not change the topic and theme of the thread, please? Thanks in advance!

GrassBarber

Threads
Ever have the starter bench checked?
Replace solenoid?
Replace fuel pump relay?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had the same issue with my Lazer Z HP with the 23HP Kawi FH series engine. The starter was shot and drawing too hard. I replaced it and the problem was resolved. It wasn't cheap, on the order of $200.

mowerman556

Threads
Ever have the starter bench checked?
Replace solenoid?
Replace fuel pump relay?

Hi GrassBarber, thanks for the tips. I'd not done those things. Being in the depths of winter I've not been much interested to get out to the barn to work on the mower. Breaking my wrist in January didn't help matters any either, LOL!

Another month or so and I will start back into it, and check those items. When I do I'll be sure to get back to you and let you know what I find.

Thanks again!

mowerman556

Threads
I had the same issue with my Lazer Z HP with the 23HP Kawi FH series engine. The starter was shot and drawing too hard. I replaced it and the problem was resolved. It wasn't cheap, on the order of $200.

Thanks Darryl G. Before you changed the starter did you also experience that the mower would start if you connected a battery charger to it, in order to get the prime?

In my case the mower cranks and cranks and cranks (new battery last June) and sounds normal while cranking but it will not fire, because it does not get the initial fuel "prime" when the key is turned (the "buzz" you hear for several seconds when the key is turned to the on position).

If I hook up a battery charger to the battery and turn the key on I do get the prime, and then the mower starts normally. The starter motor is not in play at that point (during the prime), so not sure how it could be the starter?

Once the mower starts it runs just fine. I just don't shut the mower off until I'm done and parked back in the barn, as it will not re-fire (hot or cold) unless the charger is connected to the battery again. Used it that way all last summer, LOL!

Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine would but not fast enough to fire and would drain the battery quickly. If I hooked it up to my charger and put on the 55 amp start setting it would crank fast enough to fire up.

Boit4852

Threads
Thanks Darryl G. Before you changed the starter did you also experience that the mower would start if you connected a battery charger to it, in order to get the prime?

In my case the mower cranks and cranks and cranks (new battery last June) and sounds normal while cranking but it will not fire, because it does not get the initial fuel "prime" when the key is turned (the "buzz" you hear for several seconds when the key is turned to the on position).

If I hook up a battery charger to the battery and turn the key on I do get the prime, and then the mower starts normally. The starter motor is not in play at that point (during the prime), so not sure how it could be the starter?

Once the mower starts it runs just fine. I just don't shut the mower off until I'm done and parked back in the barn, as it will not re-fire (hot or cold) unless the charger is connected to the battery again. Used it that way all last summer, LOL!

Thanks!
If you don't mind, what charger are you using? Is it the type that doubles as jump starter?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, 2/10/55 amp settings.

mowerman556

Threads
If you don't mind, what charger are you using? Is it the type that doubles as jump starter?

Battery charger is made by Century, and as Darryl G said, has the 2 / 10 / and 55 a. start settings. I use it on the 55a setting to start the mower. I think I tried the 10a setting once last summer. It did not start immediately (the fuel pump did not prime) but after letting it set a few minutes the mower did start with the 10a setting.

Rather than mess around, I just leave it on the 55a setting and start the mower that way.

Thanks for the inquiry!