PTO not engaging and rough idling

phem0r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello

I own a Yard-Man by MTD 13AA604F401. The last few times I've cut the grass, i've noticed that when i go to put the mower in reserve with the PTO disengaged, the engine will stall out like the PTO is engaged. If i pull the PTO lever towards myself and put it in reverse then it's fine. I was mowing today for about 35 minutes, had to stop to talk to my wife for a sec so i disengaged the PTO and just sat there with the engine running still (idling like crap btw) whilst i talked to her. Once we were done i went to engaged the PTO and nothing happened. Turned out the PTO belt had just come off by itself.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for me having to hold the PTO handle towards me every time i go to put the mower in reverse? New PTO belt maybe?

I've also noticed that the engine idles fine when you start the mower up, and runs fine through mowing, soon as you disengage PTO, it idles bad, like it's splutters.. I'm wondering if a nozzle in the carb possibly has something in it as i have managed to run the tank dry a couple of times and there's no fuel filter.. If that's clear though, i'm unsure what the cause is.

Thanks,
Allan

sippi123

Forum Newbie
Threads
your deck belt falling off can be caused by sev thing,belt stretched,or wore out,loose or bent idler pulley.Also make sure the belt is the right one for your mower.Make sure deck is level.Idling rough,Clean carb.You probaly have slow jet half clogged but clean both jets.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The PTO lever engages with a plunger switch.
The switches are cheap so replace it if the bracket has not broken.