Mower wont start again...

bluefire_xl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

The previous owner of my house left me a mower (Murray 6.75 Briggs and Straton engine). He told me that it was sitting outside for about 3 years and covered with plastic (been through harsh winter). I changed the oil and put in some gas (no gas when I looked in) and it started. Tried using it on my grass and after one push it just stopped. Then it started again but eventually shuts off after a few seconds. Third try and it did not even start. Replaced the filter and spark plug then looked at the choked chamber and it was spitting gas inside which seems normal.

Not sure what to check next after this. Still wont run when being pulled.

Threads
Ok you mentioned the choke chamber ?? Is there a auto choke system on your engine ?? Also called a EZ start .......

Or do you have a red primer bulb on it ??? Seems like since it sat up for toooo long and the carb is clogged up.... The main jet which is your bowl nut has a hole in the top of it and 2 in the sides...... Take a bread tie with the plastic stripped off and run that thru the holes on the sides... A smaller wire for the top hole then spray well with carb spray....

Or you need to rebuild the carb all the way with a kit....... If you need a video link to help we can help you with that Mon Ami ~!~!

Let us know........

bluefire_xl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok you mentioned the choke chamber ?? Is there a auto choke system on your engine ?? Also called a EZ start .......

Or do you have a red primer bulb on it ??? Seems like since it sat up for toooo long and the carb is clogged up.... The main jet which is your bowl nut has a hole in the top of it and 2 in the sides...... Take a bread tie with the plastic stripped off and run that thru the holes on the sides... A smaller wire for the top hole then spray well with carb spray....

Or you need to rebuild the carb all the way with a kit....... If you need a video link to help we can help you with that Mon Ami ~!~!

Let us know........

It have the red primer bulb in it. Do I need to drain the gas before removing the carb bowl? I though the mower will start for a while when primed even if the jets are clogged?

Threads
Just plug the hose with a small bolt and you will be fine..... Sometimes they do start for a second then die......

It sat for a long time so it's gonna be a dirty carb for sure...........

Threads
Try the bowl nut / main jet first.... That might take 2 minutes to clean and then try to start it..... See if the gas is coming from the tank into a jar and check for crumbs of something.......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Mikel1

Threads
After 3 years most likely carb needs cleaning. Even though tank maybe empty fuel sat in carb bowl gumming it up.

bluefire_xl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got my lawn mower running again :). The Carb is full of gunk in it. The only thing I notice is it seems to be running with less rpm I would say and just stops after a few minutes of mowing. What should I check next?

Threads
Ok there are 2 reasons for your mower not running fast........ The linkage is not hooked up to the carb.... Or your throttle cluster got bent hitting something..... The throttle cluster is the bracket that the spring is hooked to on the front of the engine......... That happens all the time............

Ok 3 reasons ..... The 3rd is that your gov spring is weak or someone stretched it...... Your governor spring is part # 699056

If your spring is in good shape then you could bend the tab that it's hooked to away from the front of the mower....

BUT BE CAREFUL..... A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY..... It only takes a very lil bit to increase the RPMS....

Do you make you tube videos ????

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!