YTH2348 Electrical Problem

SteveMerritt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently when trying to start mower it appears dead but could hear clicking from engine area. Assumed it was starter key switch , replaced key switch but not case. Couple days latter it did start but few minutes later it would not start. Ended up temporarily bypassing seat switch by unplugging switch and removing jumper tabs. Again it starts and runs. Following week it won't start again! Hmm.. only thing left is brake/clutch switch, after i check it with ohm meter and actuate it a few times it starts, but i order a new one just in case. Low and behold yesterday back to same problem, replace the brake/clutch switch but still won't start.
Battery volts 12.7. I did noticed that when turn key switch to first position that the hour meter is not on! any ideas, key switch checked ok via ohm meter B-A1

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check out the starter solenoid.

SteveMerritt

Forum Newbie
Threads
shouldn't the hour meter display before i turn key to start position?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't the hour meter work when engine is running....

SteveMerritt

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes, key switch has 4 positions, position 4 is start engine position, then you return key to position 3 or position 2 which allows you to backup with PTO switch on/Engaged and position 1 is OFF
but hour meter is in direct connection with position 2 or 3. I'm going to disconnect all ground wire where battery negative terminates on frame, clean and lightly sand connectors and reconnect
later toda

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The hour meter comes form A1 on the key switch, if you have 12v there then yes it could a bad earth (ground) somewhere.

SteveMerritt

Forum Newbie
Threads
FOUND IT !! Fuse not fully seated, voltage present but not enough physical contact to carry current of basic circuit before switch in motor start position

Remember to check fuse seating on blade fuse even though you have voltage

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well done, and thanks for letting us know....:thumbsup: