Farm downsize - Thoughts on this narrowed down ZT list?

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Farm downsize - Thoughts on this narrowed down ZT list?
Sounds like you've run into some craptastic sales people. I've got a Deere dealership 6 miles away and they wouldn't push me away from a $4000 mower anytime/anywhere and the same dealership sells $450,000 combines. Did they have the 535 on hand? You can always order via the website but there seems to be a value to the Kubota, even if more expensive. The few gifted sales people that can keep up with the times are the ones that last. Not too many of them in the power equipment world if we're being honest here.

They didn't. They were well stocked on the 9 series but that wasn't going to happen.

I ended up going another 15 minutes farther and found a great Ferris/Hustler dealer. I have decided to purchase from them as soon as I choose between the Ferris 700z and the Hustler Fastrak. Its going to be a two hour round trip if I need work done but I feel it will be worth it.

mhavanti

Threads
For the ride, Ferris. For the extra wide tires, go Hustler.

I have a Raptor SD60 and all my neighbors have Hustlers although they all have the higher priced models. The Raptor does have 2800s which the only difference in a 2800 and the 3100, 3200 and 3400 is 2800 doesn't have but one shock valve, has sintered main gears where all the others have cut steel gears.

Fastrak will have the cut steel gears and now has the extra wide tires and a bit taller rear tire. I do like the deck height ease of the Fastrak over the Raptor SD. However, for the difference in price, not worth the money. You are only cutting grass and weeds after all. I have one of the best looking lawns in the neighborhood and by far the largest. I was chastised for not purchasing a Super Z or an XOne. However, since I've installed the flex forks and seat suspension kit. I would not put the money into the higher priced models.

You'll do well with either the Ferris or the Hustler.

Enjoy the new mower,

Max

HawkFanatic74

Threads
Sounds like you've got it figured out. At least you're down to 5+ acres and won't need to spend $$$ for something much bigger.

lamrith

Threads
I am not sure about your land layout, but if it has slope on it, you will need to pay attention using the Ferris. I bought a Ferris 400S, thier lowest level one for sure, but I found and have heard form others that the Ferris can be prone to scalping. I am having that issue with off camber mowing the low side of the machine tends to scalp. I see it anytime I am turning with the unit, so I am hoping some adjusting of the springs will help.
Just something to think about, and that said I LOVE the ride from my Ferris, my land is so rough that I will just keep working on tweaking my mower pattern and the suspension to counter the issue rather than consider going back to the dealer for another brand.

mhavanti

Threads
lamrith,

Since you have the Rolls-Royce of rides, I'd suggest a higher tire pressure front and rear to see if that stops the scalping on the low side of the slope before you add spring energy or condense the travel length of your springs. Usually when someone asks me to take a look at their mowers on this situation, I find they've lowered the air pressures to soften the ride.

I've even done it to try that out and found on Zero Turns especially the extra few hundred pounds gives the one ply tires such a high load they flex much more than they are designed to stand up to with the lower pressures.

After you've tried going higher on those narrow tires (remember, narrow tires requires higher pressures than wider profile tires) if that doesn't completely resolve the crop circles, give the springs another 25 pounds of energy per corner or less and that should do it.

Good luck,

Max

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay another twist...

I went to look at the kubota again and talked to the owner who sais they’re starting to carry bobcat next month.

Bobcat XRZ 61” $5596 plus tax and $125 doc fee
Hustler Fastrak $6499 plus tax and $240 doc fee.

What would y’all choose? Is the Fastrak worth the 1k more? I like both dealers.

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay another twist...

I went to look at the kubota again and talked to the owner who sais they’re starting to carry bobcat next month.

Bobcat XRZ 61” $5596 plus tax and $125 doc fee
Hustler Fastrak $6499 plus tax and $240 doc fee.

What would y’all choose? Is the Fastrak worth the 1k more? I like both dealers.

I wanted to round this out in case anyone find themselves in my shoes...

I spent an entire weekend at the different dealers doing final rides and comparing specs. If you’ve done enough research to find this posting then you know generally speaking the components are the same between brands and only a few factors really change between the ZTRs.

I ended up buying a 60” hustler Fastrak. Sale price was $6,199. The construction of the deck is bulletproof, 3100s, the 1” spindles are larger than normal, kawi 730 motor, foot operated deck lift, foldable rops. Plus 0% for 42 months. I had intended to buy the mower but I encourage anyone who can get 0% interest to do so. Take your cash and invest it in something over the same time with a decent yield. 0% interest with a $50 origination fee is free money.

I’ve cut 12 acres so far, both the house yard and pastures. Pastures bounced me around and I lowered the tires to 8PSI and that helped a lot. Great ride now. I cut 6 acres every weekend and it takes me 2-2.5 hours depending on how efficient I am. I’ve got trees, shelters, hay sheds, fence lines, goat toys and slopes that I go slow over. I’m sure someone with a more open property could be faster.

If you’re mowing anything other than a residential yard or a residential yard that’s larger than 5 acres I strongly advise an entry level commercial mower.

Good luck.

lamrith

Threads
Congrats!!

FYI If the financing was thru Sheffield, there is monthly payments required. That said if you had the $ set aside, putting it in an interest bearing account and paying monthly out of that IS a great way to go!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are going to cut that much grass go ahead and spend the money and step up the the Scag Tiger Cat. it will last you 20 years and keep on ticking. Get the Kawasaki engine. You won't regret it. It is tough enough to do the job and simple to replace a belt on when time comes and blade change is incredibly fast. There is nothing on the market that will out cut the Velocity deck. It will cost you more in the beginning but over the lifetime you will be way ahead of the game.

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are going to cut that much grass go ahead and spend the money and step up the the Scag Tiger Cat. it will last you 20 years and keep on ticking. Get the Kawasaki engine. You won't regret it. It is tough enough to do the job and simple to replace a belt on when time comes and blade change is incredibly fast. There is nothing on the market that will out cut the Velocity deck. It will cost you more in the beginning but over the lifetime you will be way ahead of the game.

This is awful advice. I get it, some people are diehard fan boys of SCAG. I have nothing against them but their entry level units are subpar when compared to other brands and their entry level commercial units are not price competitive.

Those who's income is derived from their machines and down time equals money lost, sure, pay the premium if you really think SCAG will put more cash above the line on your income statement. Me, I've got 4 years of full warranty and a dealer who will pick up and drop off for free. Then after that it's just a cold beer while I play mechanic and sort anything out. But paying upfront for perceived quality for an issue that might happen? No way.

Although with the kawi motor, 3100 hyrdros, 10ga deck, 11ga reinforced spindle mounts, aluminum spindles with 1' shafts and everything else this thing has, I don't foresee many problems.