Farm downsize - Thoughts on this narrowed down ZT list?

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Farm downsize - Thoughts on this narrowed down ZT list?
Hello all,

Without boring you with the details we have downsized and this is the first time I will be mowing without a tractor then using a push mower to clean up. I still need to maintain ~5 acres broken down into five pastures and another acre the house is on.

Factors
- Not bagging
- Uneven terrain (down right rough in some spots) but no slope greater than 15 degrees
- Have the occasional fire ant mound (in the never ending war against them)
- LOTS of fence lines and obstacles
- No gates smaller than 16'
- Only to be used for mowing (no towing)

Concerns
- Hydros - Do I need 3100+?
- Reliability (I am about 45 minutes away from all major dealers)
- Ease of maintenance
- Availability of parts
- I would like to stay around $6,000

Narrowed down list...

Ferris IS 600Z 52'' - People swear by the Kawi but is the Briggs Commercial a bad engine?, Does not have the ICD deck and clumping complaints abound
Toro Titan HD 1500 52'' - More than I want to spend, is it worth it? , Toro engines any good?
Scag Liberty 52'' (23HP) - Are 2800 hydros enough?

Any insight on durability/reliability from people who have purchased one of these would be great. Or, is my list enough "machine" to get the job done for many years? Thanks.

Heygents

Threads
I am currently shopping for mowers in a similar price range ($5K to $6K). I haven't made my purchase yet but I have driven several of the options in the price range and will give you my thoughts:

1. Scag Freedom Z 52" - I liked how it drove but it felt small (Smaller wheels, sit lower). I also don't like that it comes with a Kohler engine
2. Exmark Radius E 52" - I liked everything about it but I don't like that it has an "exmark" engine
3. Ferris IS600 52" - I really liked this mower and love that it comes with the commercial Kawasaki engine - Problem is that it is right at the very top of my price range - Didn't like placement of e-brake
4. Gravely ZT HD 52" or 60" - My favorite so far and this is what I will probably get. Drove great and felt beefy enough to handle some rough spots. Also comes with a Kawi engine
5. Kubota 125S 54" - I liked some of the features on this mower (Suspension seat, lights) but for whatever reason I just can't pull the trigger with this one
6. Toro Titan HD 1500 52" - The dealers close to me are selling this at $5,700 so you should be able to get this in your price range - I liked this but I couldn't get past the "toro" engine - Also I am a taller person and no matter how I had the seat positioned, the handlebars felt like they were cramping my knees when pushed forward.
7. Toro Timecutter HD with My Ride - Suspension set up is fantastic - Same concerns with the "toro" engine

Good luck with your search.

HawkFanatic74

Threads
Hello all,

Without boring you with the details we have downsized and this is the first time I will be mowing without a tractor then using a push mower to clean up. I still need to maintain ~5 acres broken down into five pastures and another acre the house is on.

Factors
- Not bagging
- Uneven terrain (down right rough in some spots) but no slope greater than 15 degrees
- Have the occasional fire ant mound (in the never ending war against them)
- LOTS of fence lines and obstacles
- No gates smaller than 16'
- Only to be used for mowing (no towing)

Concerns
- Hydros - Do I need 3100+?
- Reliability (I am about 45 minutes away from all major dealers)
- Ease of maintenance
- Availability of parts
- I would like to stay around $6,000

Narrowed down list...

Ferris IS 600Z 52'' - People swear by the Kawi but is the Briggs Commercial a bad engine?, Does not have the ICD deck and clumping complaints abound
Toro Titan HD 1500 52'' - More than I want to spend, is it worth it? , Toro engines any good?
Scag Liberty 52'' (23HP) - Are 2800 hydros enough?

Any insight on durability/reliability from people who have purchased one of these would be great. Or, is my list enough "machine" to get the job done for many years? Thanks.

What is the closest implement or dealer near you? My local dealer will come pick up any machine (even out of warranty) and repair it. There's a lot to be said for that sort of service, especially when you're spending that kind of cash.

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am currently shopping for mowers in a similar price range ($5K to $6K). I haven't made my purchase yet but I have driven several of the options in the price range and will give you my thoughts:

1. Scag Freedom Z 52" - I liked how it drove but it felt small (Smaller wheels, sit lower). I also don't like that it comes with a Kohler engine
2. Exmark Radius E 52" - I liked everything about it but I don't like that it has an "exmark" engine
3. Ferris IS600 52" - I really liked this mower and love that it comes with the commercial Kawasaki engine - Problem is that it is right at the very top of my price range - Didn't like placement of e-brake
4. Gravely ZT HD 52" or 60" - My favorite so far and this is what I will probably get. Drove great and felt beefy enough to handle some rough spots. Also comes with a Kawi engine
5. Kubota 125S 54" - I liked some of the features on this mower (Suspension seat, lights) but for whatever reason I just can't pull the trigger with this one
6. Toro Titan HD 1500 52" - The dealers close to me are selling this at $5,700 so you should be able to get this in your price range - I liked this but I couldn't get past the "toro" engine - Also I am a taller person and no matter how I had the seat positioned, the handlebars felt like they were cramping my knees when pushed forward.
7. Toro Timecutter HD with My Ride - Suspension set up is fantastic - Same concerns with the "toro" engine

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the feedback

I didn't hit the gravely dealer but its not much farther than the others. Hopefully be able to get by this weekend.

Found the Toro sale price you mentioned. I liked the Titan HD 1500 a lot and wish it had a different motor option.

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the closest implement or dealer near you? My local dealer will come pick up any machine (even out of warranty) and repair it. There's a lot to be said for that sort of service, especially when you're spending that kind of cash.

This is my main problem. The dealers that are closest to me are (IMO) very sub par. I almost bought a Kubota 125S because of how great the dealer was and the perks they offered but couldn't get over the sticker shock of the unit.

When I started shopping I hit the Kubota dealer first as my Kubota tractor performed flawlessly for over 1000 hours. I was very impressed with their knowledge, service area and appreciated how they didn't try to upsell me. It all went downhill from there...

Deere dealer - wasn't interested in selling a low end model (535) and wouldn't let me test any of the units.
Scag/Hustler - main business was from professionals and I barely got the time of day
Ferris - actually said to me "oh I saw your name on a demo request but we don't do that"
Toro - completely dismissed my engine concerns and kept changing the subject

This is why I am so concerned about reliability, I have ZERO faith in any of these dealers unless I break the bank and get the Kubota.

Heygents

Threads
This is my main problem. The dealers that are closest to me are (IMO) very sub par. I almost bought a Kubota 125S because of how great the dealer was and the perks they offered but couldn't get over the sticker shock of the unit.

When I started shopping I hit the Kubota dealer first as my Kubota tractor performed flawlessly for over 1000 hours. I was very impressed with their knowledge, service area and appreciated how they didn't try to upsell me. It all went downhill from there...

Deere dealer - wasn't interested in selling a low end model (535) and wouldn't let me test any of the units.
Scag/Hustler - main business was from professionals and I barely got the time of day
Ferris - actually said to me "oh I saw your name on a demo request but we don't do that"

This is why I am so concerned about reliability, I have ZERO faith in any of these dealers unless I break the bank and get the Kubota.

What was your quote from the Kubota dealer on the 125S? I got one two weeks ago for $5,360 from my local dealer.

Rooster336

Forum Newbie
Threads
What was your quote from the Kubota dealer on the 125S? I got one two weeks ago for $5,360 from my local dealer.

It was just under $5,800 before tax for the 54'' for the E model which felt very high. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Kubota fan, at that price point it was not as heavy duty as the competitors.

Heygents

Threads
It was just under $5,800 before tax for the 54'' for the E model which felt very high. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Kubota fan, at that price point it was not as heavy duty as the competitors.

Agreed. That does sound high especially since my quote was for the S model and $400 less. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up getting.

tbzep

Threads
I went with Gravely (HD 52) because of the dealer. I had access within 10 miles to Gravely (2 sources), Husqvarna, Bad Boy (big box store), eXmark. Within 40 miles Dixie Chopper and Hustler (big box store). Gravely was the beefiest within my price range and the dealer was by far the best. Would have loved to try a Scag, but there were no dealers within a reasonable distance.

HawkFanatic74

Threads

Sounds like you've run into some craptastic sales people. I've got a Deere dealership 6 miles away and they wouldn't push me away from a $4000 mower anytime/anywhere and the same dealership sells $450,000 combines. Did they have the 535 on hand? You can always order via the website but there seems to be a value to the Kubota, even if more expensive. The few gifted sales people that can keep up with the times are the ones that last. Not too many of them in the power equipment world if we're being honest here.