Honda GCV160 hard start, then won't shut off

Windhun42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,
I have a Craftsman mower with a Honda GCV160. Recently, I had to reconnect the governor spring after it detached when I pulled the mower out from under a bush. After putting the spring back in place, I started the mower and it started fine but when I was done mowing the lawn, it would not shut off. I finally realized that the cable that is attached to the handle that, once released, kills the engine, was detached from its connection on the motor. I reattached it, and it still would not stop. Finally, I hand pushed the kill switch controller towards the front of the mower and it finally stopped running.

The next time I mowed the lawn, the motor would not start until I sprayed starting fluid in the carburetor. Plus, the stopping problem continued so I had to follow the same procedure as described above to stop the engine.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing (both) problems? The governor spring looked OK, not out of shape or stretched, but this is the second time I had to reattach it so would a new spring help solve it or is there something else to blame? Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
See if the throttle control cable has moved by the carb, that engine has a flywheel brake....does it not.

Windhun42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for replying. Just to be clear, my mower does not have a throttle control switch on the handle. It has a lever that is the full width of the handle that has to be depressed to start it and also, when let go, stops it. To start the mower, a small plastic spring-loaded switch in front of the air cleaner must be moved to the CHOKE position and then after starting it gradually rotates on its own to the RUN setting. I just wanted to be certain that your comments apply to this type of setup and that we are "on the "same page", thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes I know what you are saying, but if your mower has (should have) a flywheel brake, take off the cover I also believe you have take off the tank also on some of them, you will see the switch by the brake, that switch kills the engine just before the brake is on, its a micro-switch check it, I have replaced many of them over the years, they go bad....sometimes works the times they do not. and are easy to buy (doesn't cost much) and simple to replace.

Windhun42

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, I will do as you suggest and hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks again for the assistance.