Flywheel Puller for Honda GX340

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
My Honda GX340 (fitted onto a Hayter Condor) is kicking back badly on the pull start when trying to start. It’s been suggested this could be due to a damaged flywheel key. I’ve bought a new key but it looks like I need a flywheel puller tool. I can’t seem to find the specification of the tool I need for this particular engine. Also there seem to be different styles of pullers. Could someone please help so that I can source the correct tool?
Thanks very much for your help
Catherine

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need a pry bar and the biggest hammer you can swing
Replace the retaining nut / bolt back in but stop about 1 turn from touching the flywheel.
Place the pry bar under the flywheel and lever the the flywheel up as hard as you can
Then smack the end of the nut /bolt as hard as you can

they are on a taper and come off really easily with a sharp shock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bert. That sounds ok for those with experience but do you think it would be safer for me to use a puller? Less likely to have a mishap?
Thanks

Threads
Hit it with a hammer like Bert said but make sure you have the pry bar on a solid piece of the engine........

I do it all the time when my air compressor is on the fritz..... It blows my breaker sometimes......

2 whacks should do it.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Bert. That sounds ok for those with experience but do you think it would be safer for me to use a puller? Less likely to have a mishap?
Thanks

Believe it or not, pullers make a bigger mess than smacking it with a hammer because it is on a taper.
If it was a parallel shaft like an axel then a puller is good but on a taper, a short sharp shock is the way to go.

The only catch is you must protect the thread which is why you put the nut / bolt back in loose by 1 turn.
SHMBO is 5' and weighs almost nothing wringing wet so she uses a really long wrecking bar and sits on it with her legs either side of the engine then applies the blow.
Some call them crow bars you know the jobbie a bar with a hook at one end and a bend at the other.
The bent bit goes on the fins with the end under the flywheel.

Pullers usually mash up the end of the shaft and rip the threads out before the flywheel even looks like budging if they don't actually break themselves.
The holes for the puller are not tapped so before you start you need to thread the holes then get the correct puller.
And when you get that you will still have to smack the puller with a hammer because with a taper, the puller is not a puller but a preloader so when you hit it with a hammer the shock will break the lock of the taper.
A jaw puller on an alloy flywheel will cause the flywheel to bend and in bending lock the taper tighter.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great. Thanks very much for your help. I may just bite the bullet. It’s good to learn!

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again Bert. When I get to that stage I may just post a photo to check I have things correctly set up for this. Thank you.