Honda HT-R3009 Tank Fuel Catch issue?

Smokeeater

Threads
I just got a Honda HT-R3009 and It's running great and great condition, but I noticed when I left the fuel line valve open and parked it at night, there was gas all over after coming out of the Fuel catch.
Is this normal on this model? Like do I have to always shut down the line every time I stop it? Or is it more likely the Carb having an issue like the float isn't closing all the way allowing the fuel to pass through?

Thanks all
S

Threads
I don't know what a fuel catch is unless you mean the shallow part of the deck frame.......

I have seen that many times on Hondas..... A good cleaning of the carb and new needle will maybe solve your issue....

A Q Tip in a drill with some pumice soap will take the varnish off of the needle seat that's in the carb. Or some baking soda toothpaste...

I use a small amount of FINE valve grinding compound on the Q Tip... Just a LITTLE bit with the drill action not a lot...

That is a metal seat inside there, so don't over do it....

Let us know Mon Ami

Plus Tard............

Threads
Another thing take the jet out of the emulsion tube with a good tight fitting screw driver... Then there is a fuel nozzle inside of there also.... That can be a pain to get out....

Let me see if I can dig up a good video for you ......

Threads
Here's a buddy of mine in Canada.... Now sometimes the fuel nozzle has to be unscrewed from the emulsion tube, because of the junk and corrosion, instead of just falling out like the one shown in the video.....

Enjoy Mon Ami And Let us know the outcome.........

https://youtu.be/uAHdhuDpeKw

Smokeeater

Threads
So I ended up taking apart the carb and cleaning it as best as I could. I didn’t have the screwdriver to get into the jet. But everything was pretty clean and the bowl too. I checked the needle and it looked ok and the seat seemed fine
So I called Honda in the US and he says the Fuel Tank catch is a small evaporating bowl that excess fuel from the carb can go to evaporate. This may happen if you go up a hill or overfill the gas tank. It shouldn’t be overflowing.
There’s two tubes coming in from top and one is like a chimney so I looked in and you could see drips hitting the gas puddle developing inside so it was still doing it
Honda says 1. Don’t overfill tank 2. Check vacuum lines as they’ve seen that be an issue 3. There’s a problem in the carb where fuel isn’t being stopped
So my guess is it’s the seat where the needle hits isn’t a full seal any longer cause the tip of the needle is good
So I’ve just ordered a new carb for it

I’d post a pic but don’t see how on here

Thanks for the help and videos!

Threads
Did the carb in the video look like yours ???? I can tell if a Viton tip is good or bad.... Just looking at the metal seat no I can't and no one can either.. I can tell if a seat is bad on a briggs viton seat though......

A friend of mine would turn his fuel shut off valve whenever he shut off his mower right away and ran it for a year until he could afford a new HONDA carb, not a chinese carb......

It won't leak like that when the engine is running....... So he finally coughed up the cash for a new one and he has no issues....

Let us know about what your carb looks like.....

Smokeeater

Threads
I can take a pic of it. How do you posts a pic on here
(figured it out on laptop version instead of mobile)

And in the video I believe it was the same

Last edited: