Hustler Sport 48 - Starter Issue: clicks at 'ACCESSORY' position, no start

JayTee

Threads
  • / Hustler Sport 48 - Starter Issue: clicks at 'ACCESSORY' position, no start
My Hustler Sport 48" Model #930222 has been a dependable mower, which my son is now mowing with. Thought I was 'moving up' going to a Raptor LTD 52"; the Sport seems heavier duty and I think my son got the better deal! :laughing:

The problem we're having is the the starter failed. Had it tested and it was roached. But, let me back up to a little history. The Sport had the original 4-5 year old battery when my son started mowing with it and he ended up having to replace it. Par for the course. In retrospect, he apparently did not fully tighten the ground lead to the battery, which apparently cascaded some failures. I believe that to be the source of the dead starter.

The guy who tested the starter told me that the loose ground would have been a likely culprit to damage the starter and about the arcing you can get in the starter solenoid due to a weak connection. Got a replacement starter and a replacement starter solenoid, just to cover bases.

The issue I'm having now is there is a 'Click' as soon as you switch into the Accessory/Run position, that I don't remember having before and it still won't turn over. Battery is charged. I've checked the fuse just before the starter solenoid and it's good.

Any thoughts about where to go next? Did the ignition also get damaged? I do fine with the physical stuff (starter/solenoid change) but not as good with troubleshooting electrical.

Thanks!

John

dfbroxy

Threads
Are you sure its the starter clicking and not the carburator silnoid. Next I would check all the "duh" stuff first..ie park brake on, PTO off, butt in seat. Then check starter wired correctly. Next check that no wires were pulled loose from ignition switch. These are the easy fixes. After that a wiring diagram will be needed.

JayTee

Threads
Are you sure its the starter clicking and not the carburator silnoid. Next I would check all the "duh" stuff first..ie park brake on, PTO off, butt in seat. Then check starter wired correctly. Next check that no wires were pulled loose from ignition switch. These are the easy fixes. After that a wiring diagram will be needed.

Soooooo, hanging my head in embarassment, I actually figured it out before I came back here to the forum. It was "DUH" stuff, indeed.

I'm not sure which, if not both . . . Parking Brake or PTO engaged. I was putting my Raptor LTD on the chain hoist to pull and sharpen blades; had just pushed handles inboard and disengaged the drives. Happened to look at the Sport sitting right in front of Raptor, with it's handles pushed together and thought to myself, "Huh, self. It won't start like that, maybe . . ." Engaged Parking Brake on the Sport and no joy. Happened to lean on the PTO and it clicked down. No more click in ACCSY Position. Think to self, "Self, there's NO WAY it could have been that simple!"

It LIVES! So, "DUH!" :thumbsup:

So, dfbroxy, et all, thanks for tolerating a dumb question with a very reasonable response.

John

mhavanti

Threads
lol

narmstrong3900

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 Fastrak with starting issues. New battery, starter motor and solenoid but just clicks. I can hear the starter motor shaft hitting the flywheel. Seemed like too much starting friction so I disengaged the hydro motors and it started instantly - every time. does this mean there is a problem with the hydro motors?

mhavanti

Threads
narmstrong,

Let me make sure I'm understanding. You engage the sticks and it starts. With the sticks in park, it doesn't do anything other than click? Did I read that correctly?

Max

narmstrong3900

Forum Newbie
Threads
it only starts when in neutral

mhavanti

Threads
Neutral being with the sticks in the middle and then pressed outward into the brake zone?

narmstrong3900

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I now have the problem regardless of the position of the neutral sticks. I have a new starter/solenoid, good ground, new switch. Battery is charged. I can see the starter gear jump up and hit the flywheel....then after a few key turns it gets weaker and weaker then doesn’t move at all. After sitting for about 5 minutes it has more strength and is able to move again. It eventually starts some days.

mhavanti

Threads
Have you tested your battery and the alternator output?