Man I cant figure this Craftsman out!

Kangel55

Threads
Hi I am new here looking for help because of this garden tractor. Its a 917.273020 Crafstman 20hp Kohler 46". It set over a winter and the year before that, not used but twice, got a zero turn, anyway it was my stepdads and I try to keep it going, good shape. I have replaced all switches on this more troubleshooting and fuses and when I let the clutch out it dies. The seat switch replaced too same thing. I even tried unhooking it and crossed the plug with a wire to bypass seat switch, no luck. Clutch switch replaced also, ignition switch, PTO switch, you name it, Im stumped. BTW hydrostatic tranny. Wondering if there is anymore switches. Any help out there? You would help my frustration. I just dont know what else to do. Thanks.
'

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are going about this all wrong. Trouble shoot first when make the repair. It looks like you are just replacing parts in hope of finding the problem. You will find that a wiring diagram and a multi volt would be very helpful unless someone on this forum knows that magic repair that is giving you this problem.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you got a wiring diagram, if so post it to me so that I may take a look.

Kangel55

Threads
Have you got a wiring diagram, if so post it to me so that I may take a look.

I tried posting link wouldnt let me cause of only having 1 post but if you go to Sears Parts Direct and type Model 917.273020 everything for mower comes up.

Kangel55

Threads
You are going about this all wrong. Trouble shoot first when make the repair. It looks like you are just replacing parts in hope of finding the problem. You will find that a wiring diagram and a multi volt would be very helpful unless someone on this forum knows that magic repair that is giving you this problem.

Mower is like over 20 years old wouldnt hurt. Know what your saying though. No multi meter either.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried posting link wouldnt let me cause of only having 1 post but if you go to Sears Parts Direct and type Model 917.273020 everything for mower comes up.

The wiring diagram is not showing up on that site...........

Apart from wiring, and the key switch there is only three that takes the kill to ground, (wiring diagram from 917,273664) if you can find one for yours post it up,

1 pto switch

2 clutch/brake switch

3 seat switch

and it would help you if you had a multimeter...!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mower is like over 20 years old wouldnt hurt. Know what your saying though. No multi meter either.

Harbor freight around 10 dollars for a multi volt meter. I know what I am saying seeing I do this for a living. Just what would you say if you brought your mower into my shop and I installed a lot of useless parts?

Kangel55

Threads
Harbor freight around 10 dollars for a multi volt meter. I know what I am saying seeing I do this for a living. Just what would you say if you brought your mower into my shop and I installed a lot of useless parts?

I understand what your saying, I never said you didnt know what your saying. Ive never owned a multi meter and no nothing about them, now you know why I didnt use one. Im just trying to get the mower going again and yes you would have spent way less money than me to fix it, you do it for a living. I used a test light to see if things had current, thats my only knowledge of wiring.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wiring diagram is not showing up on that site...........

Apart from wiring, and the key switch there is only three that takes the kill to ground, (wiring diagram from 917,273664) if you can find one for yours post it up,

1 pto switch

2 clutch/brake switch

3 seat switch

and it would help you if you had a multimeter...!

Craftsman put their wiring diagrams in their owners hand books just before the parts list section.
So you have to download the entire owners manual.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand what your saying, I never said you didnt know what your saying. Ive never owned a multi meter and no nothing about them, now you know why I didnt use one. Im just trying to get the mower going again and yes you would have spent way less money than me to fix it, you do it for a living. I used a test light to see if things had current, thats my only knowledge of wiring.

Nothing wrong with a test lamp, I use on on site cause multi meters tend to self destruct in my mobile tool box.
A test lamp with a probe for circuits and a lamp holder with a 24 V truck globe for testing alternators.

Now Kangel55 can you understand the wiring diagram ?
No shame if you can not, it puts you in with the 80% of the rest of the population.
But I really do not want to write 3 pages explaining the circuits if it can be avoided.