Push mower purchasing questions

primerbulb120

Threads
Scott you have a very good Briggs engine right there on yours..... Those are almost bullet proof when you maintain them like you have been doing.....

I don't get what you mean by the plastic front axle..... I don't think you have that on yours, unless you mean a new mower with the plastic front end.... Naw I don't care for those......

Is yours a self propelled ???

I would keep the one you have, do the oil change with the new synthetic Briggs oil 5-30, keep the blade sharp and make sure you use NON ETHO gas in it.... You won't have carb issues like that..........

Let us know Mon Ami.........

Yes, keep your current mower. Sure, it's not fancy, but with new wheels it should last another 5-10 years.

primerbulb120

Threads
I’ll put my Toro against your Honda any day of the week and it will not cost nearly as much to purchase, to maintain, or use. Mine is 26 years old and going strong.

Maybe that's true for your 26 year old Toro, but it's not true for any Toro produced in the last 10 years. The drive systems on the self propelled Toros are junk, the push models are better but still won't outlast a Honda. It's appalling the amount of Toro transmissions I've had to replace.

Did I say Honda was not a good mower? No, I’m comparing Toro to Honda. Why would I keep a mower for 26 years, because it was built to last and still does it’s job very well. I’ve probably worked on equipment older than you, when it was built to last, not abused and then thrown out. You leave your equipment outside and want us to believe you brand ( you did say “OUR WEED TRIMMER” ) is in your opinion the gold standard. You ask about cost to maintain, well if you haven’t figure it out yet, I’m a service tech and have worked on both brands. I’m sure from your comments you have also. Except for carbs Honda parts cost more and repair procedures take longer. Why are you changing the subject to trimmers left outside? The OP asked about mowers and I never compared Toro and Honda trimmers, which would be a different subject. Your opinion is valuable as long as you can back up any claims you make, stick to that.

I am also a service technician, and I own and use both brands. As far as parts costs, I don't know where your data is coming from. Let me give you mine:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/h...0-lawn-mower-parts-c-37657_188003_188096.html

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/t...-lawn-mower-parts-c-121776_127291_127729.html

Here are a Honda and a Toro to compare. I own and work on both of these models. Note that Toro wants AT LEAST twice as much as Honda for the wheels, transmission, drive belt, transmission + drive parts, recoil starter, and most of the other parts on the diagram. I can service the drive system on my Honda in half the time it takes to do the Toro, because it's simpler and has a lot less parts. I can replace the carburetor in less time than it takes for you to rebuild the expensive carburetor on the Toro. I can replace the Honda ignition coil in half the time because there is only cover to remove to gain access to it. I can replace the Honda starter rope in half the time because the starter isn't part of the blower housing.

As far as weed trimmers, I have compared both. I work on a lot of handheld equipment. Honda makes one of the best trimmers on the market. Toro trimmers are made by Homelite/TTI and are a disgrace to the Toro name. They work okay until the clutch bearings seize and the clutch bangs around and destroys everything on the front of the engine. I have seen this too many times for my liking.

You asked for proof. My proof for these claims:

- Honda's current models are better quality than Toro's: Search the models on Google and look at the reviews. There's really no rock hard proof for whose mowers are the best, but according to the end users, it's Honda.

- Toro's transmissions are junk compared to Honda's: It's a flaw in the design. Honda uses sealed ball bearings on the output shaft and input shaft of their transmissions. Toro uses brass bushings with no seal at all. The brass bushings wear and allow play in the axle shaft, which allows the gears to strip out and ruin the transmission.

- Parts costs: I already posted links to the parts diagrams. Take a look.

- Repair times: I already listed my reasons. If you'd like, I'll be happy to make a video doing the listed repairs on my Honda.

- Toro trimmers made by Homelite/TTI: https://www.partstree.com/parts/hom...ight-shaft-string-trimmer-sn-260000001-above/
Also, if you disassemble the engines of a new Toro and a new Ryobi, you will find that they are nearly identical.

There, I backed up my claims.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hawk you changed your identity to primer. I thought I asked Hawk to stand behind his claims, but you must be a standin. I’m not going to get in a ——- contest with you as you don’t compare apples to apples. You’ve try to do this to me in the past and I’m not wasting my time with another Florida wannabe. You say use these two mowers to compare after you complain about the Toro (Loncin) engine. You then post a 2005 Toro model with a Briggs engine and say compare. What about the Toro model 20382 with a Honda engine on it. I don’t know what you do there to trannies, but if I need to replace or rebuild 6 Toro trannies a year, that would be pushing it. I could keep going but it is not worth the time as you know so much more than me. Maybe if you reread my post you would see I never compared trimmers, that was you trying to change the subject. Oh, maybe Prime and Hawk are one and the same, that why I’m wrong again.