Raptor SD or Upgrade To Fastrak - Worth It?

BoylermanCT

Threads
I have a 2 year old Raptor SD 54 with Kawasaki engine, flex forks, engine guard and heat shield. Love the mower, very happy with the cut quality. I am getting the mower deck replaced under warranty due to faulty paint that is peeling off. While I am having it replaced, I am going to talk to the dealer about trading it in and upgrading to a new Fastrak 54 or 60. What I am looking for is more speed. I currently mow at full speed most of the time, and if I had the speed, I could use it to get my 5 acres done faster.

My father-in-law has an older Fastrak, about 8 years old. His Fastrak is significantly faster than my SD. I am guessing 50% faster. On paper, a new Fastrak is only slightly faster than my RSD - 8 mph vs 7 mph. I don't think I would notice a 1 mph difference in speed, if that is truly the difference. But the older Fastrak is way more than 1 mph faster.

Can anyone who upgraded from a Raptor SD to a Fastrak comment on if it is worth the extra money? Is the Fastrak that much faster than the RSD? What did the Fastrak do for improving your mowing time? I spend 2.5 hours on my 5 acres - lots of trees, and lots of broken up sections of yard, not one giant field.

mooch91

Threads
I have a 2 year old Raptor SD 54 with Kawasaki engine, flex forks, engine guard and heat shield. Love the mower, very happy with the cut quality. I am getting the mower deck replaced under warranty due to faulty paint that is peeling off. While I am having it replaced, I am going to talk to the dealer about trading it in and upgrading to a new Fastrak 54 or 60. What I am looking for is more speed. I currently mow at full speed most of the time, and if I had the speed, I could use it to get my 5 acres done faster.

My father-in-law has an older Fastrak, about 8 years old. His Fastrak is significantly faster than my SD. I am guessing 50% faster. On paper, a new Fastrak is only slightly faster than my RSD - 8 mph vs 7 mph. I don't think I would notice a 1 mph difference in speed, if that is truly the difference. But the older Fastrak is way more than 1 mph faster.

Can anyone who upgraded from a Raptor SD to a Fastrak comment on if it is worth the extra money? Is the Fastrak that much faster than the RSD? What did the Fastrak do for improving your mowing time? I spend 2.5 hours on my 5 acres - lots of trees, and lots of broken up sections of yard, not one giant field.

I made the same switch 3 years ago. I noticed an improvement in cut quality, but not so much in speed. In fact, I find myself wondering what 10+ mph would be like...

BoylermanCT

Threads
Thanks Mooch. I was afraid the speeds were similar given the specs of 7 vs 8 mph, not even sure I would really notice the difference of 1 mph. I wonder why my father-in-law's Fastrak is so much faster than my RSD. I am wondering if they have added too much weight to the newer Fastrak - it weighs 800lbs compared to the RDS's 600 lbs. The older Fastrak's look to be in the same size and weight as the RSD. 3100 hydros on a 600lb machine would let it go fast!

mooch91

Threads
It really is hard to say whether or not you'd notice the difference. There are other things in the feel of how it rides that would be noticeable - for example, I found the Fastrak much easier to control, the RSD always felt "jerky" when I was behind the controls. I can keep straighter lines and control around trees and beds much more smoothly on the Fastrak.

Consider doing a demo - the Fastrak is one that dealers usually have available for demo. That's how I decided to upgrade mine - it cut so much better.

mhavanti

Threads
Mooch,

I've ridden all of the Hustler mowers as the block I live on has all of them. Everybody was trying to talk me into the model they owned which is normal of course.

An elderly gentleman (yes, even more so than myself) across the street has a Fastrack and the only thing I like about it over my RSD is the ease of setting the mower deck height and a tiny bit of speed. Other than that, I can't find any differences between the RSD and the Fastrak. The hydros are exactly the same with the exception of the third valve in the hydros that makes the 2800 hydro a 3100. His Fastak isn't any less sensitive than the RSD though. His does have six gallons of fuel capacity. Mine only has 3 gallons originally. 4 gallons since I raised the fuel tank ventilation hose to the fuel cap level allowing the two upper chambers to fill without pushing out fuel. By the way, only thing is, he never runs it faster than about a mile and a half to maybe close to two mile per hour. Wears me out watching him. lol.

I was wondering if you can tell me other differences I can't seem to notice. I like my wider tires, I like my engine guard better, I like my muffler better as it is quieter with a dB meter, and both seem to control exactly the same to me.

Even the X One and the Super Zs on the block all handle the same and mine rides better than all of them now since the flex forks were added along with the suspension seat kit.

Only two things I see for the Fastrak over the RSD is the deck setting device and the extra hydro valve. I don't mean this to sound or look sarcastic, I just can't see the extra expense and not gain anything. My lawn is the largest in the neighborhood and looks exactly the same as all the rest and I've got the only slum mower on the block, apparently. I know everything is taste and in the eye of the beholder. Just curious if you can actually feel or find anything worth the difference in price. I think both are grossly overpriced personally. lol

Thanks in advance,

Max

mooch91

Threads
Mooch,

I've ridden all of the Hustler mowers as the block I live on has all of them. Everybody was trying to talk me into the model they owned which is normal of course.

An elderly gentleman (yes, even more so than myself) across the street has a Fastrack and the only thing I like about it over my RSD is the ease of setting the mower deck height and a tiny bit of speed. Other than that, I can't find any differences between the RSD and the Fastrak. The hydros are exactly the same with the exception of the third valve in the hydros that makes the 2800 hydro a 3100. His Fastak isn't any less sensitive than the RSD though. His does have six gallons of fuel capacity. Mine only has 3 gallons originally. 4 gallons since I raised the fuel tank ventilation hose to the fuel cap level allowing the two upper chambers to fill without pushing out fuel. By the way, only thing is, he never runs it faster than about a mile and a half to maybe close to two mile per hour. Wears me out watching him. lol.

I was wondering if you can tell me other differences I can't seem to notice. I like my wider tires, I like my engine guard better, I like my muffler better as it is quieter with a dB meter, and both seem to control exactly the same to me.

Even the X One and the Super Zs on the block all handle the same and mine rides better than all of them now since the flex forks were added along with the suspension seat kit.

Only two things I see for the Fastrak over the RSD is the deck setting device and the extra hydro valve. I don't mean this to sound or look sarcastic, I just can't see the extra expense and not gain anything. My lawn is the largest in the neighborhood and looks exactly the same as all the rest and I've got the only slum mower on the block, apparently. I know everything is taste and in the eye of the beholder. Just curious if you can actually feel or find anything worth the difference in price. I think both are grossly overpriced personally. lol

Thanks in advance,

Max

Hey Max. No sarcasm received, you make very good points and I think it depends. If what you've got is achieving the result you're after, then why would you need more?

I was the OP in the long-winded thread on the Raptor SD cut quality from a couple of years back. I bought my RSD 4 years ago, used it for a bit over a season, and was disappointed with how it was cutting on my lawn. I demoed the Fastrak and noticed an immediate improvement in cut quality. As mentioned above, I felt the control was slightly smoother, but that was not something I ever felt was 'bad' about the RSD. I think the deeper deck and slightly different discharge configuration made a substantial bit of difference in how it cut and discharged. I should say I have pretty high standards for cut quality, a relatively large yard (1.5 acres), and turf that grows very fast, and this was my sole reasoning for the upgrade. I was able to upgrade for only a couple hundred dollars loss on the RSD.

I seem to recall a lot of criticism at the time about my expectations for cut quality in that thread. Even after the upgrade, I still go back and forth about my impressions of the Fastrak. Depending on the time of year, growth situation, etc., there are times where I feel the Fastrak can't keep up with my specific turf. Under 'normal' conditions, in order to get a finished, clipping-free cut, I'm double cutting each mow, minimum once per week, ideally twice per week. During the early spring or wet weather, even that pace can leave the lawn looking unfinished (clippings, clumps) because growth is so fast. I've slowed down my fertilization and tried some different feeding techniques to keep the growth more reasonable, but my northern mix turf grows uncontrollably fast.

Even since I purchased the Fastrak, I've still wanted to demo a true commercial unit, to see if my expectations are too high or if what I'm seeking can be achieved with an even bigger/better mower. I don't know that I could ever justify the purchase price (even used) or the loss I would take on the Fastrak to upgrade. It seems the pros can rip through many of my neighbors' properties and have them looking good, once per week, with a fraction of the effort I'm putting out. Would a bigger engine, another half inch depth on the deck, a different deck design, and a wider discharge chute make a substantial difference? Not sure, but it would give me some confirmation as to whether it's my expectations or the mower that needs to change. Thankfully I enjoy lawn maintenance, but I do feel at times I've become a slave to the lawn.

Ultimately I think all of the Hustlers are very good mowers and there's enough variety and options with the different models to match each owner's needs and wants for value, speed, cut quality, etc.

Last edited:

BoylermanCT

Threads
Thanks for the feedback on the Fastrak. I am happy with my RSD. It cuts really well once I put on the high lift blades. Clumping is no more now that I cut out the bar that obstructed the discharge chute. I just want more speed, so it the new Fastrak is only 1 mph faster than my RSD, I won't trade up. While they have my mower replacing the deck, I will see if I can take home a Fastrak demo to try it out.

I saw that Scag is having a sale on the Patriot mower through the end of the month. Their 61" mower comes with 3400 hydros and they claim 10mph which is what I am looking for. I'm going to stop by later this week and see how much they go for. I see them online for $7500 and as low as $6600 on clearance. A lot of change for a mower! I'm guessing my RSD is worth more in trade in value at the Hustler dealer vs the Scag dealer. Will be interesting what they offer me for the RSD.

mhavanti

Threads
I have to consider the huge differences between your grass and the type of weather down here in mid Arkansas. Usually super hot, super humid weather here. The Bermuda isn't the thickest of grasses and that does make a difference. All my neighbors have the same grass other than mine is a hybrid something or other Bermuda that I stepped up and bought to make the lovely bride happy. I know, good luck with that, right?

At any length, my grass is a bit thicker than all the rest of the lawns in our subdivision of 697 houses. It still isn't all that thick compared to Zoyzia and many other grasses. There is one Zoyzia on my own block and it is always at 4 inches, fed about once a month and looks like a carpet.

My Bermuda after it is allowed to grow out is also at 4 inches and makes for a very nice carpet looking affect. I try not to allow the seeding out as by then, it looks shaggy and nobody wants that.

This season, there are a few yards having a hard time getting the weeds killed out and thus we have stunted the growth and to be honest, the yard looks terrible. It will be fine probably by the end of this month (June 2018 for those reading in the future) with the feeding, watering and I may even try getting out and speaking to each stem to see if I can possibly make it feel better. lol.

Before I purchased my RSD, I cut with the neighbor's Super Z and loved the fact it would make 12 plus mph while mowing. The fella got a little pee'od that I was running his mower so fast because "it isn't good for it". But then, all he mows is .5 acre or a tiny bit more. I cut a bit over .775 acre with the RSD. I have some really stupid property lines and almost impossible to make a pretty line due to them. However, with him running his 54" at probably 7.5 or so, me running my 60" wide open probably tops less than 7 as it has never seen the advertised mph. I still finish my yard before him. Now, the things I liked about his Z is the speed, the ease of the deck adjusting, engine oil cooler and that was about it. He purchased his as a demo with 77 hours on it. The dealer sold the adjustable seat from it. He never knew it was supposed to have one until I told him. lol. Well, the fuel injection is nice as well.

So the ride didn't excite me because his was as rough as mine before the flex forks and seat suspension kit. I'm also considering upgrading mine in my series of "modifications" to fuel injection or a two barrel carb set up. All just because and to make the videos. There will be an engine oil cooler installed in the future as well as a stacked hydro cooler radiator and remote two quart hydro filters along with a remote 2 quart oil filter. Temp gauges for both, etc. Why do all this, simply to make videos for others that may like to find upgrades that may or may not make their mowers better fit their needs.

I still wouldn't swap my RSD for the Super Z because by the time I get thru with mine, I'll have a much nicer mower for less than a half his money except the speed. Unless I run across a burn out Super Z and take the hydros and install them into the RSD.

I'll keep you informed. Hope you find the combination that gives you the cuts during each part of the season that satisfies you.

Good luck.

Max

mhavanti

Threads
That 10 mph would be nice.

BoylermanCT

Threads
In my pursuit of a 10 mph upgrade, I stopped by the Scag dealer yesterday to look at the 61" Patriot. Comes with a Kawasaki FX 24hp engine, ZT3400 hydros and Scag says it will go 10 mph. He did not have any, but ordered one from Scag while I was there, and it should be here next week. They want $7000 for it. Downside is they won't take my Hustler in trade. He says he would not give me much for it so I would be better to sell it privately. While I agree I'll get more selling privately, trading in would be much more convenient. He also does not have a demo unit that I can try before I buy. Apparently the Patriots have been flying off the shelves with this summer's sale. Sale ends June 30, and the price goes back to $7500.

I am going to my Hustler dealer tomorrow. The 60" X-One is rated at 10.5mph and has a larger Kawasaki FX 27hp engine and Parker hydros. They have a new 2018 model on sale from $9500 to $8500 and a used 2017 with 97 hours for $7500. I want to see if I can talk them down on the used one and see what they will give me for my RSD with the new mower deck.