Raptor SD or Upgrade To Fastrak - Worth It?

mhavanti

Threads
Could be heavier, I don't think so though. I just drove across the street with the RSD to compare to the X One. Appears to be the same other than mine are wider than his. My fronts are 13-650s, his are 13-5s. But then, his is also a 2009 model. Apparently everything had gone bigger on tires which I agree with. Without pulling his apart, I would know if they'll interchange, but, they sure look like they would.

Looks can be deceiving. lol That's what my wife says anyway.

Max

BoylermanCT

Threads
I also have the RSD deck modification kit (allows you to cut off the bar across the deck opening and keep your machine in warranty and factory specs) that I bought to put on my RSD but stopped because the mowing deck was getting replaced under warranty. I paid $70 for it and it is new in box. If anyone wants it, it can be yours for $55 incl shipping. PM me.

The deck modification kit has sold.

BoylermanCT

Threads
Could be heavier, I don't think so though. I just drove across the street with the RSD to compare to the X One. Appears to be the same other than mine are wider than his. My fronts are 13-650s, his are 13-5s. But then, his is also a 2009 model. Apparently everything had gone bigger on tires which I agree with. Without pulling his apart, I would know if they'll interchange, but, they sure look like they would.

Looks can be deceiving. lol That's what my wife says anyway.

Max

According to Hustler, the Raptor SD weight 666 lbs and the X-One weighs 1282 lbs. I have no idea how they pack twice the weight into the X-One! It does have the same front wheel size as the SD. Hustler supersized everything recently. My FIL has an older Fastrak which looks very close to my RSD. The new Fastrack is a much bigger machine.

I am getting ready to buy 7' fork lift extensions for my tractor / loader so I can back the mower onto the forks and lift up the mower to clean the deck, change blades etc. The loader wouldn't skip a beat lifting 666lbs, but will work a little to lift 1282. Don't worry, I have steel supports to put in place under the lift while the mower is up in the rare case the hydraulic hoses on the loader burst.

mhavanti

Threads
Great idea! Might want to burn some holes in the tines to drop a 3/8" bolt into in a couple of places for both to keep the mower from sliding off the tines while they are up in the air.

The life you save may be your own. lol

Good luck!

Max

BoylermanCT

Threads
We are on the same page. I am thinking of welding a couple of D rings onto the backplate of the forks and then use ratchet straps to hook to the D rings and go around the rear wheel to tie the mower to the forks. Having a 1200lb mower fall on you will ruin your day!

Kremeneon

Threads
I am getting ready to buy 7' fork lift extensions for my tractor / loader so I can back the mower onto the forks and lift up the mower to clean the deck, change blades etc. The loader wouldn't skip a beat lifting 666lbs, but will work a little to lift 1282. Don't worry, I have steel supports to put in place under the lift while the mower is up in the rare case the hydraulic hoses on the loader burst.

Why lift the whole mower instead of just the front? I bought a jungle-jack and it pops my RSD in the air in seconds, with plenty of room to get my electric impact in there to pull the blades.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I have a mower lift which lifts the front end up 24" or so. But I still have to get on my back on the ground to get under the deck. Tired of doing that. With the tractor and forks I can lift the mower up so I can walk under it. Much easier on the back! Plus gives me another excuse to use the tractor!

Kremeneon

Threads
I have a mower lift which lifts the front end up 24" or so. But I still have to get on my back on the ground to get under the deck. Tired of doing that. With the tractor and forks I can lift the mower up so I can walk under it. Much easier on the back! Plus gives me another excuse to use the tractor!

Fair enough, Please be sure to block it up and not rely on only the hydraulics to keep you from being crushed.

LeakyGasket

Threads

That is why next year I am thinking about trading my Fastrak in on a Grasshopper front mount, where the front can be turned up to nearly 90 degrees. I am tired of crawling around under the front wheel lifted machine.

Mr. Mower

Threads
That is why next year I am thinking about trading my Fastrak in on a Grasshopper front mount, where the front can be turned up to nearly 90 degrees. I am tired of crawling around under the front wheel lifted machine.

Here's my $0.02 on this.....

You could always trade in your Fastrak for a Hustler Raptor Flip-Up.

Just another consideration for you.

I also did not want to mess around with lifting up a mower just to change blades, clean under the deck, etc. so I just purchased the Raptor Flip-Up and it's worked out great each time I need to clean under the deck, replace blades, etc.

It's quick, easy with no problems dick'in around, just press a button and lift, once all done, just press a button and lower and your all set!

No regrets on the decision to purchase it and as a matter of fact, once I first discovered that it was offered (Flip-Up feature) read up on all that I could about it, etc. well that was enough for me.

Believe me, it make's life a bit easier on dealing with cleaning and changing blades on a ZT mower.

https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/raptor-flip-up

So far I've been happy with it but overall the choice is yours alone to make, though keep in mind, this particular feature is definitely not for everyone.

There are a few other ZT mowers that also offer the same feature such as:

https://www.bigdogmowerco.com/mowers/blackjack

http://www.countryclipper.com/store/c1/mowers/p9/boulevard/