Raptor SD or Upgrade To Fastrak - Worth It?

Grass Whisper

Threads
I upgraded to a Fastrak 54. I really liked to change to the way the machine rode and how it feels solid. The biggest change is the improved cut. The Raptor seemed to leave grass trails in the yard and feel like it was a PIA to deal with the trails. I mulch and have the mulch kit. Now that I think of it, I have never done a thing but mulch with the Fastrak. Might one day take the sheild off and let the grass fly. Who knows.....

Good luck with your choice friend...

:biggrin:

mhavanti

Threads
Grass Whisperer,

That's another thing I've never experienced with my RSD. You may have hit on something for your Fastrak though. The Fastraks in the neighborhood, three of them. One on the opposite corner, a 2012 with the Honda engine, one around the corner, a 2009 with the Honda engine and a 2014 at the end of the second block with the FV691 Kawasaki all have issues with middle blade stragglers from time to time. We have discussed that and the quorum seems to be that it doesn't happen on every mow, it depends upon moisture, height of cut and land speed. I always laugh and tell them they are NOT moving fast enough to outrun the stragglers. lol

Anyhow, I wonder if the mulching device is what has given you the perfect cut. I can't find a thing wrong with my ole RSD other than the price on all mowers are ridiculously high for every mower out there. One thing to remember, the blade tip speed on both the RSD and Fastrak are the same, spindles are the same, blades are the same. If a deck is leaving stragglers, there can be many things causing it. I can't fault those Fastraks nor a RSD if that is happening until all avenues have been exhausted in the search for the problem. For the three owners, they don't seem to be upset enough to actually research their issue thus, they'll never know the whys or why nots and I'm not going to do it for them as they all would like. I would help them, but, not going to do it for them. It also goes back to not happening often for them of course.

My point is, if and when you try it without the mulching kit, let us know if the mower leaves stragglers and what you do to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Max

kraky

Threads
2 years ago I went from an SD to a fast-track and there are about 10 things I can think of that are upgrades and I really like it much better. But you are correct if speed is what you are looking for you will barely pick any up.
I will ramble through what I think are the pluses not in any particular order....
The fast-track is heavier and rides considerably better.
It has better traction on hillsides than the SD had.
The hydros are smoother and more accurate.
For some reason it leaves less tire tracks in soft soil... it mows cleaner for me on my Lawn & Stripes better.
It is a quite a bit quieter.
I like the spring assisted deck lift... the gauge wheels are much sturdier.
More fuel capacity and a electronic fuel gauge is nice.
More seat room and distance between the sticks I'm a big guy at 6 one and it's noticeable.
Longer warranty.... nicer deck depth stop.
Heavier build with less frame flexing and less lift of the front tires on uneven ground.
Overall I thought the SD was fine but every time I get on my FasTrak I giggle like a little kid and would pay the difference and buy it all over again in a heartbeat!

BoylermanCT

Threads
Kraky, thank you for this. Very helpful! I was thinking a heavier machine would have a number of advantages, and you have confirmed it.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I stopped by the Hustler dealer today and came home with the used X-One to demo for a day. Will mow with it tomorrow. Its 60" and has the 27hp FX850 engine plus grammar air ride seat. Its a much bigger and beefier machine than the Raptor SD. If it mows well at full speed I think I will keep it. I can finish my 2 acre field in just over an hour with the RSD, so I want to see what the X-One will do. Hustler rates the RSD at 3 acres an hour, but I think that is high. They claim 7.5mph but I know my RSD can only hit 6.5-6.75. I will clock the X-One with GPS to see if I can hit 10.5mph. They rate it for 6+ acres and hour. We'll see if it mows twice as fast as my RSD. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

kraky

Threads
Go big or go home LOL! I think you're going to be pretty amazed at how different the two units feel!

BoylermanCT

Threads
All I can say is wow! The X-One clocked at 10mph on the GPS on the road. Zero turn steering is a bit trickier at 10mph compared to 6-7mph - my stripes leave something to be desired today! I mowed my 2 acre field in 35 minutes. My RSD does it in 65. I came inside after mowing the field, and my wife said I thought you were going to mow the field. I said I am done, she did not believe me! Mowing in the yard around the house did not gain as much time because the grass areas are smaller and broken up by fence, tree lines and over 40 trees to mow around, so you can't turn and burn like you can on an open field. Mowing quality at 10 mph was the same if not better than the RSD at 6.5 mph. The traction on the X-One was better, I did not slide on a hillside in my field like I do with the RSD. I am guessing 600 extra pounds will do that. The ride in the lawn area was very good. In the field is was very rough, but the air seat made it do-able. I know the tires were set at 25 psi from the dealer, and I will lower them to 10 like I do on my RSD, so that should help some. My RSD had flex forks, and the X-One does not, but I can get them if I choose. The X-One comes with a 5 year warranty, so even being used, I have 4 years remaining. So it looks like I will be trading in my RSD for the X-One! After trade in, the payments are $25 more than the RSD, but will last 2 extra years. The $25 a month is well worth the improvement in mowing time!

I have 3 sets of RSD blades I will give to my FIL so he can use them on his 54" Fastrak. I also have the RSD deck modification kit (allows you to cut off the bar across the deck opening and keep your machine in warranty and factory specs) that I bought to put on my RSD but stopped because the mowing deck was getting replaced under warranty. I paid $70 for it and it is new in box. If anyone wants it, it can be yours for $55 incl shipping. PM me.

mhavanti

Threads
Glad the X One will work out for you. I would get the dealer you're trading with to swap the flex forks from the RSD to the X One in the deal. Or, put a set on the X One in the deal.

Run it like you stole it and if you break it, fix it.

Max

DK35vince

Threads
25 PSI in the tires will make the ride a lot worst than it needs to be.
Take them down to 8 PSI

BoylermanCT

Threads
25 PSI in the tires will make the ride a lot worst than it needs to be.
Take them down to 8 PSI

Agreed! It was very rough on the maiden run. I'll adjust the PSI way down before the next run.

Max, I asked about the flex forks on the RSD, and they are not the right model for the X-One. I am guessing the weight difference between the two mowers requires beefier forks on the X-One. I have priced them for the X-One for $265, but will wait a bit before I pull the trigger on them.