Raptor SD or Upgrade To Fastrak - Worth It?

mhavanti

Threads
Why not just purchase two 3400 hydrogear pumps, they are direct replacements, and send me your 2800s and wala, you'll have your 10 mph for about a grand outright.

I won't charge you a thing to let you dump those 2800's off on me considering I'm going to turn a set of 2800s into a set of 3400s. lol

How's that for fixing you right up?

Max

DK35vince

Threads
Mooch,

I've ridden all of the Hustler mowers as the block I live on has all of them. Everybody was trying to talk me into the model they owned which is normal of course.

An elderly gentleman (yes, even more so than myself) across the street has a Fastrack and the only thing I like about it over my RSD is the ease of setting the mower deck height and a tiny bit of speed. Other than that, I can't find any differences between the RSD and the Fastrak. The hydros are exactly the same with the exception of the third valve in the hydros that makes the 2800 hydro a 3100. His Fastak isn't any less sensitive than the RSD though. His does have six gallons of fuel capacity. Mine only has 3 gallons originally. 4 gallons since I raised the fuel tank ventilation hose to the fuel cap level allowing the two upper chambers to fill without pushing out fuel. By the way, only thing is, he never runs it faster than about a mile and a half to maybe close to two mile per hour. Wears me out watching him. lol.

I was wondering if you can tell me other differences I can't seem to notice. I like my wider tires, I like my engine guard better, I like my muffler better as it is quieter with a dB meter, and both seem to control exactly the same to me.

Even the X One and the Super Zs on the block all handle the same and mine rides better than all of them now since the flex forks were added along with the suspension seat kit.

Only two things I see for the Fastrak over the RSD is the deck setting device and the extra hydro valve. I don't mean this to sound or look sarcastic, I just can't see the extra expense and not gain anything. My lawn is the largest in the neighborhood and looks exactly the same as all the rest and I've got the only slum mower on the block, apparently. I know everything is taste and in the eye of the beholder. Just curious if you can actually feel or find anything worth the difference in price. I think both are grossly overpriced personally. lol

Thanks in advance,

Max
I guess I'm wondering why your neighbors have Super Z's and X-Ones for half acre lawns ?
Sound like serious overkill.
My lawn is around 1040 long x 345 wide (Around 8.23 acres.)
I can mow it with my 72" Super Z in just over 2 hours. Averaging 4 acre per hour.
If I mowed a half acre of our lot it would take our Super Z about 8 minutes to mow.

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
DK,

The dealer was n extreme "upsales" person. I was in business before he was born. His mother and father were customers of our Parts Distribution. He forgets that I sold them complete rebuild kits for a B&S back in the day for 9 bucks. Included piston, rod, gaskets, valves, valve springs and camshaft in the 70s. In the 80s, prices were as high as 13 to 15 bucks. 90s, 17 bucks. Millenium, 22 bucks, now days embarrassing.

Now them being retail, the 9 buck kit was sold by my dealers for somewhere around 35 dollars. He is selling spark plugs today for 11 dollars. My nephew now has my businesses and sells them to him for 2.85. This person along with most dealers believes in doubling to tripling, quadrupling and even more. Then cry when someone purchases a mower at a big box store.

He will NOT work on a Hustler sold at Lowes and won't touch anything he didn't sell even if it is the same brand of other equipment. So, he has stopped selling Raptors and he said this coming year when the Fastrak goes to Lowes, he won't sell them either.

Point to all this is: He doesn't like to sell anything below an XOne or Z. Doesn't make enough profit. Loses a lot of sales. However, he feels the commercials keeps in the lifestyle his wife is accustomed. When I purchased my RSD, he didn't have Lowes competition. He would try to push me to the XOne because I have almost an acre. I reminded him of his profits and he reminded me there are other dealers. He almost lost my sale over that.

Max

BoylermanCT

Threads
Why not just purchase two 3400 hydrogear pumps, they are direct replacements, and send me your 2800s and wala, you'll have your 10 mph for about a grand outright.

I won't charge you a thing to let you dump those 2800's off on me considering I'm going to turn a set of 2800s into a set of 3400s. lol

How's that for fixing you right up?

Max

Max, if I thought I had the skill do that, I would love to do it! If my 2800's die for some reason, I would be very tempted to do it. Do you think they are completely direct - all bolts will line up etc?

mhavanti

Threads
According to the manual and parts diagrams. Did you get the manual I sent you?

mhavanti

Threads
Here is some research I have been doing on the comparisons of all the HydroGear pumps.

2800 and 3100 Hydro Comparison.jpg

BoylermanCT

Threads
I did get the manual, and have it saved for future use! Thank you!

I watched a few videos on Youtube from HydroGear, and it sounded like the 2800, 3100 and 3400 were similar in design, but I did not get the idea that the casing on all three was identical. I sent Hydro Gear an email and will let you know what they say.

mhavanti

Threads
There is a video of a fella rebuilding a 2800 and adding another shock valve. He shows the 28 and 31 are definitely the same. I looked at my neighbor's 31s and they have the exact measurements as the 28. I haven't gotten my hands on the other neighbor across the street's 3400 yet. I will.

However, am very interested in what they say.

BoylermanCT

Threads
Max, I heard from Hydrogear:

The ZT-3400 would not be compatible. If you wish to install a ZT-3100 make sure that characters 3 through 14 in the Hydro-Gear model number match. Each character designate certain components and configurations. The link below shows a sample identification label that can be found on all of our products.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/owners/

mhavanti

Threads
Boyler,

Thanks buddy. I'm still going to measure the mounting holes, lever locations, designs, etc. I'm betting they aren't much differences in them outwardly and if not, then maybe a direct bolt up. Even if not a direct bolt up, would be a fun modification to make.

As you know, I'm doing modifications just to make videos for those that want to improve or test their mower designs.

Looking forward to seeing what the factory said.

Thanks again,

Max