Raising height on Toro push mower

Chandler57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro self propelled mower. I recently had my Florida yard re-sodded with St. Augustine grass. With my mower set on its highest setting it's cutting too low and shredding my lawn. I have a brand new sharpened blade but it still needs to be raised. It has 8" diameter wheels on it. Would changing those to a larger wheel give me the extra lift I need? I hired a lawn service for fertilizing and weed control but they tell me it needs to be cut higher. I paid way too much for my new lawn to kill it by improper mowing. I'm retired and just don't have the funds for a better mower or a lawn service. Thanks for any advice!

DunnDidIt

Threads
Make sure Blade isn't upside down. If u have spacers under blade u may take them off. Grab a tape measure and set mower on highest setting. Andpark on level ground. Measure blade height and let us know

Chandler57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Blade is good. No spacers. Measured 3 1/2" from blade to ground. Thanks!

DunnDidIt

Threads
Wow that's kinda short for Max height. My cub goes to almost 4 1/4 which is where I mow my personal yard at. Not customers. But that's awfully short for Max height. Is this a new mower or are you not the original owner?

Chandler57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow that's kinda short for Max height. My cub goes to almost 4 1/4 which is where I mow my personal yard at. Not customers. But that's awfully short for Max height. Is this a new mower or are you not the original owner?
The mower is several years old and I am the original owner but did not have much in the way of grass previously. Last fall after Hurricane Irma tore up our yard we had to have the yard sodded. We now have a plush yard with St. Augustine but it grows quick, tall and thick. My mower is incapable of cutting at the proper height to avoid damage. Since I am unable to raise the deck any higher I was wondering if switching to bigger wheels might be an option.

DunnDidIt

Threads
Of course. Make sure if u getting bigger wheels u increase the inches equally. Example if u get 1 inch bigger wheels in the front u need 1 inch bigger wheels in the back. But if it's self propelled u need to make sure u get a wheel that has the same connection for the self propelled. Like some mowers have teeth on the inside of the wheels.

Chandler57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you I'll definitely take a look at that before replacing!

DunnDidIt

Threads
Also if ur mower has notches for the height. U can set the lever outside of the notch for a little extra height. It works on some mowers