15 hp Kohler is flooding

stevevalu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a John Deere LX255 42" riding mower. About a year after I bought it, (about 15 years ago), it would be running fine and then suddenly start cutting out and black smoke would be coming out exhaust. It appeared to be flooding to me. It might suddenly clear up and be ok and then it would do it again. I asked the John Deere dealership about it and they said it would cost at least $100 to look at it. I asked how much a new carburetor would cost and they said $140. I got it and put it on and it's been running fine for over 13 plus
years. Now it is doing it again. What it sound like so far from research is to check needle valve and float. Any other suggestions? I don't see how the solenoid could be causing this because as I understand it all it does is shut off fuel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get an inline spark tester like the one in this thread http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/48079-THE-VERY-BEST-SPARK-TESTER-BAR-NONE-!! and hook it up to your mower.
When it starts to get smokey check the tester.
If it is flickering then the coil is going bad or you have a wiring problem.
Pull the blower hosing off the mower and remove the kill wire from the coil.
Problem goes away = wiring problem
Problem stays = duff coils.

Do not just continue to mow with the kill wire off the engine as you are then relying on the fuel cut off to stop the engine and all of the wiring has been bypassed making the mower actually dangerous to use.

Threads
Have a John Deere LX255 42" riding mower. About a year after I bought it, (about 15 years ago), it would be running fine and then suddenly start cutting out and black smoke would be coming out exhaust. It appeared to be flooding to me. It might suddenly clear up and be ok and then it would do it again. I asked the John Deere dealership about it and they said it would cost at least $100 to look at it. I asked how much a new carburetor would cost and they said $140. I got it and put it on and it's been running fine for over 13 plus
years. Now it is doing it again. What it sound like so far from research is to check needle valve and float. Any other suggestions? I don't see how the solenoid could be causing this because as I understand it all it does is shut off fuel.

Hi Steve......... You mean to say that you had a new mower and the JD place had you buy a new carb instead of a warranty job ??? Shame on them........

Ok I / we need some extra info on your engine.. I am familiar with the Kohler engines and carbs.... If yours is running rich like you say you just might need a new seat and needle.... If you have the brass seat for the needle then it's wore out and needs replacing. A PITA to change but you can do it easy.....

Do you have the 15 HP ?? Most JD's down here have the 15 HP on them with that size deck........

What is your model # on your engine ??? You must be using NON Ethanol gas or using your mower all year not to have trouble with your carb for 13 years....

Let us know Mon Ami....