Already posted a little but wanted to introduce myself

LotusLord

Threads
  • / Already posted a little but wanted to introduce myself
Hi All,

I'm just getting into real lawn care after renting a house where all I had to do was mow using a provided mower, then owning a condo where all I had to do was complain about poorly mowed lawns and my own worn areas due to my dogs. My wife and I bought a new construction home in April of '17 and then we had to deal with lots of rain which kept the yard from being graded and seeded until last June. By sheer luck our lot is the largest on the block, and is rather pie shaped. My wise father in law decided when he saw the property that a rider would be appropriate or I'd be mowing for hours every week so several family members chipped in on a Craftsman 1200 tractor which gets the bulk of the mowing responsibilities. The moisture issues continued last year requiring some heavy regrading and reseeding of areas in the back yard and construction of a swale along the lot line of both my property and my next door neighbors, as well as cutting through the yard of another neighbor. Fast forward to this year and the grass is actually filling in pretty nicely. There are some patches and areas that need work and a lot of weeds which are being treated by Weedman (we pre-paid for the season before I started really getting into this stuff). I've acquired a Briggs' powered Toro FWD Recycler free from a neighbor which I'm slowly getting running, as well as a Honda powered Husqvarna from the father in law, which also will not start despite being a year or so old. I'm debating whether to start plugging away at that or waiting until I get the Recycler going before digging into it. I also have a functional but rather meh Black and Decker battery powered weed wacker, which I'm convinced will stop working before I run out of line for. I've yet to try it for edging, but it does ok on the long grass along the fence line and in the areas the mowers can't go.

I had a stickler for a first boss, an elderly man who was big into lawn care but could no longer do it himself. In addition I had very inspirational grandfather who taught small engine repair to visually handicapped folks starting in the 1960s, and lived for maintaining (and of course mowing with) his Cub Cadet tractor from the 1960s. That mower is as far as I know still in the family after it became uncomfortable for him to ride post hip surgery. Sadly we lost him before I realized how much knowledge I could have gained from him on this stuff, though he taught me a lot of other things.

Looking forward to learning and hopefully contributing to this group!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I for one will welcome you.....:thumbsup:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've come to the right place :smile: