Repairs Honda HRR2162sda Transmission/self propelled repair

General96

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a used mower from craigslist. Doesn't work but I'm confidently working on cleaning the carb. I just realized that its a self propelled mower but the cable and clutch lever are missing. My question is, is there a way to test the trans/clutch system before I go out and invest in the cable and lever?
Thanks in advance
Dave

NoMoMowin

Threads
Try this: place mower on side. Remove spark plug to allow you to rotate blade more easily. Block deck so rear wheels are free to spin. You should be able to turn them in forward direction easily, and with much more effort in reverse. Engage clutch bar however you can, since you've no cable. Then rotate blade in mowing direction. The wheels should turn in a forward direction. If they don't, check that the clutch bar is in the correct position. If still no wheel movement, your transmission may be bad. Since someone removed the clutch cable, I'd guess they did so for cause. But, it might just have been a broken cable. If it IS the transmission, it's not hard to replace (at least on my HRT216 SDA) but shop for a good price. I found mine for ~ $125, but have seen them listed for over $200.