PTO engage runs for a few seconds and quits

ebosw001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scag Tiger Cub with several hundred hours on it. Mower was running and cutting grass fine. Now, once the PTO is engaged it runs for a few seconds and quits running and cutting. Replaced the PTO switch and still the problem occurs. Really do not want to replace part after part looking for the issue. SCAGs are commercial and was thinking someone has bound to have had this problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the resistance and air gap on the clutch.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had the same problem recently one one of mine but it was the switch and you have already replaced that. I am interested to see what is going on with yours as well. Please post what is going on when you find the answer.

ebosw001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay; sorry it has taken so long to reply. I wanted to be sure I had the problem solved. This one was a tricky one because the problem was actually two-fold. i.e. two problems with similar symptoms.

1. I replaced the PTO Clutch. This was an issue for I have an older ~2003 Scag Tiger Cub. Reason: The new PTO Clutch comes with an anti-rotation arm; which if you have an older Scag doesn't fit out of the box. The PTO Clutch fits fine, but the anti-rotation arm had to be welded onto the back frame. Not fun, if you don't know how to weld or have a welder. Luckily I do.

Once replaced, the mower performed much better, but did quit after getting into thick grass or increasing the throttle.

2. Replaced fuel filter and used some dry gas. Seems the mower was really sensitive to the moisture I received from my local fueling station. I didn't think this was part of the problem initially because my cars were running just fine. Evidently, cars can withstand small amounts of moisture.

Problem(s) have been fixed. At least I have mowed twice with no problems.

Good luck.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice to know its back working, thanks for the feedback which is always welcome here..:thumbsup:

Luffydog

Threads
Think they gave u the wrong clutch. More than likely and after market clutch or the one you have have superseded to a different part with an update kit.