briggs starter gear issues

mark dubose

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone know a good solution to the plastic gear failure on my 16.5 MTD mower? I'm on my third gear

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine numbers would be useful

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the condition of the ring gear on the flywheel for damaged or missing teeth. Depending on engine could be an issue with valve clearances and/or compression release breaking the gear due to kickback.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And if you still have them some photos of the gears would be handy ?
are you sure that are the correct gears ?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Anyone know a good solution to the plastic gear failure on my 16.5 MTD mower? I'm on my third gear

I wonder if you are using the correct starter gear for the ring gear you have. As said, need engine numbers.

Walt Conner

Threads
Mark A few of us answered your 1st thread you started on this ring gear.... Did you see it ???

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Is the engine turning over easy? Or does it turn about half way and stop for just a second? That would be (usually) the valves out of adjustment. Cause a lot of stress on the gears.

I've used metal gears on some before. Louder cranking. But they don't wear out as fast.
The problem with them are, they'll wear the starter shaft, that's plastic. Metal and plastic aren't really a good combo.