Identication older MTD

Raymont

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, im ray and im from the netherlands. I found an old MTD mini tractor that i want to use to move stuff around my property. It was is poor shape and all the wires were cut off for some reason. I've re-done the wiring and the B&S engine runs but not as good as i would like it to run.

So the first step for me now is to identify the model and find out what the engine type is to oder some parts. I can't seem to find any information about older types of MTD
equipment. The only thing i know is that the engine is an 18hp opposed twin B&S engine.

Can anyone help me find out the following:
- the model and year of the tractor
- the B&S engine type
- the loacation of the engine serial number

2018-03-03 17.32.10.jpg

2018-06-07 18.29.22.jpg

2018-06-08 19.07.04.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a very close look at the engine shroud, sheet metal cover surrounding the engine. Briggs stamped the model, type and code numbers into the shroud. A strong flashlight helps. If it is and OHV engine it may be stamped into the valve cover. If you have no luck finding the numbers, post a couple of pictures of the engine, which will help us identify it.

Raymont

Forum Newbie
Threads
A lot of metal cover have been removed for some reason. I've took away the front of the tractor to reveal the engine but i couldnt find any numbers on the engine.

Het are some pictures of the engine:

2018-06-06 18.30.03.jpg

2018-06-10 17.36.41.jpg

2018-06-10 17.36.23.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a manual which may be of some help.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NaqjIxWV1ybHphbUNTQUNNR2s
It will take some searching, but using the model numbers in the manual you should be able to find basic repair parts. I would not run that engine to long in hot weather with no engine covers, will overheat and cause major problems down the road. Might want to try your local repair shops and bone yards for some covers. The main cover going around the flywheel had all your engine numbers on it. Post back if you need more help.

Raymont

Forum Newbie
Threads
IT seems to be something like an 42a707 engine. At least it has the most resemblance. But i still find IT strange that B&S stamp the codes in steel covers in stead of in casted parts... why is that?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only two companies that I know of, which stamp numbers into the cases, are Honda and Lincin. Others have been using either stickers or stamped into shrouds for decades and has worked 95% of the time. I personally don’t like them stamped into cases, as engines are mounted on equipment in different ways and in some cases it is very difficult to find and read those numbers due to equipment covers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT seems to be something like an 42a707 engine. At least it has the most resemblance. But i still find IT strange that B&S stamp the codes in steel covers in stead of in casted parts... why is that?

BEcause the engine number also has the build date and the code ( specification of the engine ) .
As the actual specifications can change , then you put them on the last thing that goes on the engine, the blower housing

If for instance you stamped the cases with the code for an MTD then that engine has to be sold to MTD and not AYP because their code is different so the numbers are the last thing to go on.
BEfore computerised production lines a lot of products got their serial number at the despatch dock