Huskee Mower Kicking back hard on recoil and all I did was change the oil

driz

Threads
  • / Huskee Mower Kicking back hard on recoil and all I did was change the oil
Its our old beater 2011 21 inch pusher used for trimming the horrid places ect and it died for no reason besides changing the oil and removing the blade to sharpen it. It ran fine 15 minutes earlier and has been used recently. So when I put it back running it just kicks and backfires through the muffler every time I pull it enough to get it to kick. Hasn’t been run into anything since yesterdays use so I don’t see how the flywheel key could be suddenly sheared. All it does it cough and snatch the cord now.
I did have i upside down for a while and I assume that some oil must have been left up in there and it got up top. When I pulled the plug it was dry as a bone, fired ok outside the engine ect and the mower turned over freely with it out. I did. Flush the piston top out with carb cleaner an yanked i over sending everything flying out the hole. I then blew i out with air and it all sailed out the exhaust.
So based on all that I sort of ran ou of ideas. What next, thanks..........

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sheared or partially sheared flywheel key. Cause could have been a loose bad. Replace the key and I’ll bet your problem will be solved.

driz

Threads
Yea I don’t see how considering the circumstances but looking around it must be a coincidence . Still, by the look of that blade I can see my wife must have been trimming some shale with that poor thing. It might just have been sitting in place till I flipped it over :confused2:

driz

Threads
Well I took it apart and much to my surprise both the stator and key are fine. So I went and changed the oil I just put in before it went wacko, aeroshell 30 wt I had left over. Nothing, still trying to yank my hand off with the new 5-30 I’d just dumped in. Rolls over fine with the plug pulled and the plug sparks.
I can’t see what the aeroshell could have done as it’s Straight 30 for 4 cycle air cooled engines. It never ran on the stuff anyways. Ok so what next??? Its a new one on me

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, if this is a push mower there is no stator on this engine. Second, I asked you to replace the flywheel key. They only cost a buck and may look fine, but only a slight shear will cause a problem. Third, oil will have no effect on kickback. Most kickbacks are caused by the timing being off. The timing on today’s small engines is set by two things, flywheel position which is controlled by the flywheel key and CDI module air gap, meaning the gap between the module and flywheel. Maybe someone more experienced than me can give you a better idea where to look.

driz

Threads
Yea I get It with the stator flywheel definition just mixed it up. I would have changed it out but I’m way outa townamd both the key and flywheel showed not a sign of damage or rounding or fitting loose. If it had I’d have just run out and gotten one.
About the only thing I can see was the key didn’t protrude as far out I to the engagement slot as I’m acccustomed to. Also there was some crud wedged in the very bottom all the way across which also makes me think the key should set deeper.. I’m going to get one that fits deeper And grind it to depth .. Maybe later on the week when ever,ything more pressing is done.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please only use the key designed for you engine, making your own will lead to disaster. The key is only for timing and does not have to be any larger or in deeper than they manufacturers original. Also make sure the blade is on tight.

driz

Threads
I was right about not bothering to replace a perfect used key . What ended up being wrong with it was the pickup must have gotten pushed in or out too far (loose) and it was still firing but way out of time. A friend of mine noticed the scratches on the flywheel and loosened it, shoved a dollar bill in between the flywheel and pickup and tightened it. Bingo, runs fine. Its still a ragged old POS Huskee but it lives on to mow the nasty stuff