Opti vs other oils

martin1b

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been using Opti 4 since I purchased my Fastrack 5 years ago b/c in 'doubled the engine warranty'. However, at 15/bottle, is it really worth it? I can buy Kaw 10/30 for $5.50/qt or Mobil 1 for $7.5/qt.

Is Opti really worth twice the price? If not, do I go with a full synthetic or synthetic blend?

Bill

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use Amsoil and it runs around 15 dollars a Qt. Myself I change the oil once a year and it takes 1 1/2 quarts of oil plus the cost of a new oil filter. I really don't think that 35 dollars is bad for a year of running the mower. When I do a yearly mower service for a customer in my shop it can run around 150 dollars.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run any diesel rated oil, usually 15w-40. The last I bought was Mobil Delvac, $5.99 per gallon after rebate.

You're not going to have any lube-related failures, no matter what brand you use as long as it is API rated.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've been using Opti 4 since I purchased my Fastrack 5 years ago b/c in 'doubled the engine warranty'. However, at 15/bottle, is it really worth it? I can buy Kaw 10/30 for $5.50/qt or Mobil 1 for $7.5/qt.

Is Opti really worth twice the price? If not, do I go with a full synthetic or synthetic blend?

Bill

Look at it like this Bill, have you had any MAJOR issues with your engine other than ROUTINE Maintenance/Replacement parts ?? if not, wouldn't you consider the cost of a GREAT oil, inexpensive versus the cost of a major repair .. or possibly even an engine, oil is the life-blood of an engine, it will treat you, as you treat it !! .. I've been using OPTI-2 in my 2 cycle equipment for over 26 years now and my engines are running as good as new with NEVER an issue, YEP I'm biased toward this product because it works. .. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oil is the cheapest part you can put into an engine.
There are many ways to look at the "value" question.
Mower engines are not like car engines, they are quite frankly crude , rude & unsofisticated.
The engine will be happiest with brand new oil every time it starts and as long as that oil can maintain a continious oil film everything will be peachy.
The problem with expensive oils is because they are expensive people run them for too long, recirculating all of the contaminates that do the damage to the engine.

Value judgements is up to the purchaser.