Cub with Kawasaki engine Bad Oil Leak

shipfitter

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have a Cub Cadet with Kawasaki Engine with about 30 hours on it. It is 2 years old. We bought new.
Was running fine and ran out of gas. When I filled and tried to start it seemed to spew oil and smoke out exhaust and
would only run a few seconds. I tried a few more times and all it did was smoke like hell and die.
I stopped and looked at exhaust and there was a big puddle of oil on drive at front of mower.
What the heck is going on?
Thanks, Heart broke over $2000.00 mower in Pascagoula.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am going to sound cruel .It is not personal in any way shape or form.
At $ 2000 you bought a throw away mower so don't feel distressed.
If it out ran warranty then you have gotten your moneys worth.
When ride ons were first introduced they were very near the price of a bottom end 2 seater car.
Now days they are cheaper than a lot of push bikes, a reality check.

SO the very first thing to do is to check the oil level.
Good chance you will find it is too high, thin and smells of fuel.
If so then the float has failed to close, flooded the engine with fuel which has gotten into th sump, thinned the oil which then blew into the carburettor via the crankcase breather then through the cylinder & out the muffler.

If you are lucky you will get out of it with nothing more than a carburettor service.
If you are not so lucky you will also have to replace the head gaskets.
Whatever you do, don't sit there continually cranking the engine, all you are going to do is flatten the battery and make the problem worse.

Go to http://outdoorpowerinfo.com and see if you can find your carb then clean it .
Buy an inline fuel tap & install it between the tank and the first item in your fuel system ( pump or filter ).
This will make cleaning the carb & replacing the fuel filter a lot easier & cleaner, thus you will be encouraged to do it more often.
When you have finished cleaning the carb, hook it to the fuel line before you replace the float bowl so you can lift the float with your finger to check that i is cutting off the fuel before it touches the roof of the float chamber.

shipfitter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for reply.
I feel better now.
I hope this is problem.
I was thinking the worse. Hopefully not.
30 Hours and well cared for mower by two old timers.
My wife is 78 and only one allowed to operate.
We bought this mower because it was only one she could
get on and off with 3 Pins in her hip.

Don and Joan in Pascagoula.

Will keep in touch with results.

Threads
Yes I agree with Bert.... Your carb needle and seat went bad more than likely and your gas went into the oil crankcase / sump...... Or your head gasket went south on you... I think it's the carb also....

I used to live over there in your town for a few years... Do you know Sonny Naqauin ?? He worked for Sears and retired from there....

I had a house on Bayou Cumbest, but Katrina took that away and I didn't rebuild on that leased land.....

What carb do have on there ?? More than likely a Nikki carb...

Let us Know Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for reply.
I feel better now.
I hope this is problem.
I was thinking the worse. Hopefully not.
30 Hours and well cared for mower by two old timers.
My wife is 78 and only one allowed to operate.
We bought this mower because it was only one she could
get on and off with 3 Pins in her hip.

Don and Joan in Pascagoula.

Will keep in touch with results.

Unless there is a big hole in the side of the engine, everything else is repairable.
Apart from the new fuel injected engines , mowers have not changed much since Briggs made their very first engine and are quite easy to repair, if you take your time & think things through.
Kawasaki repair manuals are available on line to download and you will not need any tool that you would not find in a normal house hold tool chest save a small tension wrench.
parts lists are also available as an interactive and you can print the page out from most places that have them.
And yes it is a bugger getting old but at present it is a lot better than the alternative for most folk.
Feel free to ask any question, nothing is stupid apart from breaking something cause you did not ask.