Dixon 429 relay wiring

iowaztr

Threads
Have a 1992 Dixon 429 bought this spring and used it twice. While mowing it just up and died for no apparent reason and upon investigating found the part of the wiring harness under the key fell down and the end with the relay was ran through the chain and sprocket destroying the relay, connector, and pulling some of the wires out of the connector.

Bought a new relay and it has 5 prongs, mangled connector looks like it had 5 prongs but only 4 were used. I have 2 loose yellow (1 to ing. switch, other to ?) wires and 1 white wire and looks like 2 may have been jumpered in the connector. Trying to splice new wires with connectors to the old wiring and relay. White wire is obvious with the mangled connector but anybody know where the yellow wires hook up to on the relay?

Stopped at a former Dixon dealer and he wasn't too interested in giving me any information on what goes were with the relay wiring.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check first.......

White bottom left = clutch

yellow bottom middle = brake

yellow bottom right together (connected) with yellow top = diode

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 7

iowaztr

Threads
Thanks for the diagram. Will try it this weekend.

iowaztr

Threads
Confusion first thing already!

I have a wire that runs to the ingnition switch and one that goes to the wire bundle.None to a brake(?). Shape of connector in the drawing matches mine but not the terminology.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try this one its for a Dixon 428 which should be about the same....

Attachments

• Dixon 428 Wiring Diagram 73 Related Diagrams Motor Ztr 3014.gif
    Dixon 428 Wiring Diagram 73 Related Diagrams Motor Ztr 3014.gif
    57.4 KB · Views: 11

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This one is for the 429.......1989 year

Attachments

• ZTR 429 (1989) WIRING ASSEMBLY.gif
    ZTR 429 (1989) WIRING ASSEMBLY.gif
    35.6 KB · Views: 8

iowaztr

Threads
Thanks for more info and diagrams.

The one for the 428 gives the colors of wires but I can't find what "brake" the are talking about. Also mine looks like the ignition switch wire goes directly to the relay instead of through a plug.

The second drawing for the 429 looks more like what I have but no wire colors are listed and their position in connecting to the relay.

Getting closer to the answer, would I ruin the new relay by trying different combination of wire hook ups?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up the relay numbers when it is plug into the below pic, from what I understand is the yellows are 12v + ( you say from the key switch) bottom left in the below pic = clutch - (ground), middle bottom goes to the seat switch,

relays work by.....four post.....1 for 12v+, 1 for 12v - (ground) the other two are in and out ie when you put power into one of them (lets say post 3), when the relay is powered on power goes across to post 4, its just a switch...!

look at it has 4 post....

2 for 12v + and ground - (makes the relay work)

2 for in power and out power......... look at the pic for the relay (below) post 86/85 are to make it switch 12v + can be on any of these too - ground on the other, post 87/30 are the out (switch) again any way round will do.

Attachments

• Relay_with_resistor_across_coil.png
    Relay_with_resistor_across_coil.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 3

iowaztr

Threads
In my google search I figured I needed relay part# 4384 which was discontinued and cross referenced to several part#s including part# 539102914 which I ordered. It has 5 prongs and looks like it matches up to the mangled plug but the wiring diagram looks like it only used 4 of the slots? Is the the correct relay?

Just throwing this out.... serial number is 42-5284, should be a 1992 if I looked it up correctly.

Plan on getting a new test light as mine got stepped on while initially trying to sort this out and see what wires need to be hot or not.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post 87A on relays are sometimes not used, they are open or closed when powered on.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: