Kohler on push mower

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry, I don't have the model numbers. But this may be simple enough (for the small engine guru's)

6.75hp (ohv) Kohler. The problem is when you pull the rope, there's one spot in there where it catches, and pulls the mowers front wheels off the ground. The engine kill brake isn't toughing the engine. There's only a very slight clearance between the flywheel and the brake. But still not catching. I thought that's what it was at first.

What I have to do, is pull the rope out til it get's to that hard spot, let the rope retract, then start from the hard spot. It's almost like the engine's compression release is broken on one with an actual electric starter. But this is a pull start.

Any idea's fella's?

primerbulb120

Threads
Make sure it has a blade, then make sure the valves are adjusted to spec.

primerbulb120

Threads
An old Honda G200 did that to me once after I replaced the ignition points. Turns out the ignition timing was adjustable, and I just set it randomly while installing the new parts.

Your engine is too new to have ignition points, but just something to keep in mind if you ever have this issue with an old one.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
An old Honda G200 did that to me once after I replaced the ignition points. Turns out the ignition timing was adjustable, and I just set it randomly while installing the new parts.

Your engine is too new to have ignition points, but just something to keep in mind if you ever have this issue with an old one.

You mean the valves need adjusting, right?

primerbulb120

Threads
On your engine, yes, check the valves. If you're ever working on an old engine with adjustable ignition timing and it gives you the same issue, check the ignition points.